Chapter 45: Doorstep

Alaiya's POV:

My eyes are practically bulging out of my head.

I feel as if I've been standing here for hours. Staring. Nothing else besides staring.

"What-what are you doing here," I stutter, my parents whom I haven't seen for freaking years standing at my doorstep. They didn't show up to my wedding, they didn't accept the invitation to my baby shower- for all I knew, they jumped off the face of the Earth, yet here they are. Standing in front of me, completely silent.

"Alaiya! I just changed her diaper and gave her a shower and she fucking did it again and then fell asleep like it never happened after I changed her for the second time. I want to retire," Roman complains as he walks over, suddenly stopping in his tracks when he sees who's at the door.

So my reaction was normal?
Cool.

"I left for a few minutes." Roman's face immediately morphs into anger.

"We need to talk to Alaiya," my dad says.

I'm so glad Autumn just asked to watch TV so she'll be busy for a while and Dayton's with her.

"We just need to talk." My mom holds her hands out when she sees that I haven't moved.

"How the hell did you even find out where we live?" Roman's basically livid at this point as he's standing beside me with his arm around my back to keep me from most likely fainting.

"It's just talking, Alaiya," my dad ignores Roman's question, assuring and only speaking to me.

"Answer his question," I finally dare to say something.

"We'll explain everything, but will you just come outside and talk to us," my dad pleads.

"Okay," I shock myself by saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super pissed and my blood is boiling with feelings I can't even begin to describe, but they just need to talk. That's it. That's all I'll allow.

"Roman's staying," I state as my parents are moving away from the door and to the right side of our front deck.

They both nod cautiously.

I look up at Roman who looks like he's trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing when even I have no idea.

I beg with my eyes because this could be something super important considering they came back to see me. I know they hate me, so it can't be something small. I may be angry, but I'm not as bad as them. I won't push someone away in their time of need.

"Please," I whisper helplessly.

He stares at me for a second before pulling my hand outside and shutting the door halfway behind us. Dayton's with Autumn who will come to us if anything happens and the baby monitor is on both our phones so we'll know if Aubrey decides to wake up.

"You have kids." My mom forces a smile to show she's happy. I think. It seems very fake. Like a gun is being held at her head.

"You would've known if you accepted any of the invitations she sent you," Roman retorts, making a shade of embarrassment take over my parent's faces.

I feel dizzy.

"We know we should've been there more," my dad says to me.

"You mean at all? What? Did the restraining order expire so you thought to pay her a fucking visit?" Roman fires back.

"Look, I know we didn't meet in the best way-."

"You hit my wife and made her have to climb out a goddamn window before getting taken away in handcuffs for being an abusive prick."