Chapter 30: Birthday

Roman's POV

I'm very thankful for Alaiya, but the number one thing that makes me even more grateful for her is that she doesn't push me on things without me having to say anything. I opened up about that shitty birthday, and though I told her that I don't mind letting Rider, along with the others throw me a party, Alaiya still is making sure nothing is over the top so I don't feel uncomfortable. Somehow, she even convinced everyone that we shouldn't sing happy birthday which I fucking love her for since the nightmare truthfully hasn't left my thoughts. She reads my mind pretty well when it comes to this stuff, but if I ever god forbid tell her that the restroom is to the right, I'm the dick and it's obviously to the left.

I will never let that go.

"Dayton, that's the tablecloth, not the cake," I scold our son who apparently thinks he can put anything in his mouth and it'll taste like sugar.

He picks up the plate of cake that he put on the ground and waddles away, probably forgetting what we just spoke about.

"Present time! Roman, sit your ass down," Ivy demands as they all take a seat at, or around the couch.

Alaiya smiles a little sadly at me with a whispered "I'm sorry". I'm guessing that's because she tried to not make them do this, but had no luck.

I kiss the top of her head, telling her it's okay before I take a seat beside her on the couch. Autumn sits on my right thigh while Dayton sits in Alaiya's lap, Aubrey in her bouncer beside us. A pile of gifts are in front of me that I am very grateful for don't get me wrong, it's just the opening them in front of everyone thing that I hate.

I open a few that are from Legend and Iris's kids who made me some cards and also some bracelets which they expect me to wear.

"My turn!" Ivy walks over and hands me a bag.

I look inside and see that underneath the paper is the outfit she made me wear that day to see if the fitting was right.

"It's mostly for Alaiya." She shrugs proudly.

"I'm never wearing it." I shake my head.

I look down at Alaiya who shakes her head in a 'yeah, sure' kind of way, obviously being sarcastic by the way her eyebrows knit together. I then see her mouth a 'yes he is' toward Ivy when she thinks I'm not looking.

"There's also a link to my foundation." Of course, Ivy has to add the card that she had custom-made for her foundation at the bottom of the bag.

I roll my eyes at her.

I get to a blue box and rip it open as Rider's fucking jumping in his seat. A teddy bear is seen once the wrapping paper is removed.

"Press play." Rider points to the button on the bear's stomach.

The second I hit it, a loud-ass scream comes out which can only come from one person's lungs in this entire world, earning Rider, along with everyone else to throw their heads back in laughter.

"Now you have a reminder of me when I'm not with you."

"When the hell does that happen?" I ask because the man never leaves my side.

"You can fall asleep to it. Think of it like rain sounds, but better."

"That's so cute!" Alaiya, of course, finds this adorable for no goddamn reason. "We can put it up on our shelf."

"No, we fucking won't," I deny that horrible idea. "Also, don't call it our shelf when all of your books are the ones on it." Alaiya is more defensive about her books than a person is with their most prized possession. Plus, I haven't gotten her riled up in a while and it doesn't feel right.