Chapter 33: Regret

Alaiya's POV:

After our conversation, I decided to put the kids to sleep and start getting ready for bed as Roman and the guys are on kitchen duty, meaning they have to clear the table, wash the dishes, sweep the floors, and things like that.

I take the sheet and spread it across the bed right as the door opens. Roman looks at me, the concern being the only emotion he's been carrying and is still withholding all day.

I look down at the sheet, focusing on it like if this sheet isn't perfectly laid out, I won't be able to fall asleep.

The second I feel his arms go around me from behind, his hand wrapping around the front of my body and his strength holding me against his stomach, I intake a large breath-one for the way his scent makes me feel as if I've been taken to heaven, and one for the emotions that took place for too long of a time.

His hand grabs my hand which is held in a tight fist to take the anxiety out somewhere. He unclaws my nails from my palm, his thumb rubbing soothingly over the place where there are red marks, only to then brush his fingers near my wedding ring.

"You know when I gave you that, I made a promise that any problems you have, I have to have too," he reminds me, his voice right next to my ear.

"You have been carrying out that promise since the day we met," I whisper, finally looking back at him.

He gives me a small smile. "I said I made the promise to you that day. I never said when I made the promise to myself."

I can't help but smile back at him after that sentence.

Okay, Alaiya. Just talk to him. Just tell him how you feel. Tell him that Carson and your parents messed you up so much that you had a nightmare where he acted like them. Tell him that you're a horrible person because he's never made you feel that way, yet you still think it.

He lays kisses on the top of my head while I'm trying to hold in the tears because of how my past has royally screwed me up.

"I umm...." I sniff, turning around so I can see the hurt that I deserve to see on his face when I tell him this. "I had a nightmare last night."

That statement immediately brings panic onto his face.

"Was it something about Carson's mom or Carson?" his voice is laced with panic, afraid that I may have started going through what he goes through and he wasn't there to help me.

My therapist did tell me that there was a chance that I'd start having nightmares after everything. Plus, I did technically get held hostage and when I told Roman what my therapist said, he was completely distraught that I would have to go through even a smidge of what he goes through when he's sleeping.

"Kind of." I shrug, sitting on the bed behind me.

He kneels on one knee on the floor, his hand still in mine to show me that he's here for me.

"It was dumb. You and I were sitting on the couch and you wanted to do stuff but I told you I was tired. You got upset that I said no and then you said some things." Something flashes across his face, but it's not what I was expecting, rather something I can't put my finger on.