✗ prologue ✗

⚊ prologue

If there's one thing you'll never forget in your life, it could be the first time your heart beat faster for someone, right?

"Sunhee! The boys are in the backyard, why don't you check on them for me?", My mom called over to me from her place next to my sister.

Her voice snapped me out of my hazy thoughts I had been lost in as I spaced out uselessly from peeling the onions.

Go in the backyard alone? No thanks. It would mean facing the person I actively ignored and avoided at all costs. He's a danger sign to me, not really, it's just my heart doing things when he's near.

"Oh no, I'm still sniffing here because of onions! Make Dahyun do it!", I replied as I settled further into my seat and almost hugged the chopping board in front of me.

Am I above using a tearjerking onions to avoid humiliation? Well, I guess not. If the heavy gaze of my mom were any indication that I will pay for something else if I didn't do what she simply asked.

I put down the knife in attempt to actually hide how I'm suddenly nervous. But my sister's eyes narrowed at me like she knew my heart wasn't in it. She always knew me better than anyone.

My mind drifted towards our back door. I knew my brother, Sunoo was back there playing in the pool with his friends.

Warmth spread through my chest by instinct as I imagined seven boys with their eldest being the most attractive in my eyes. They had been attached to each other since the start of their highschool.

I didn't know how they make it work in different ages, but for me, it was a beautiful friendship.

My brother was talkative and friendly. He was always the center of attention even if he wasn't trying hard and he is thriving in all the friends he could gain. His laughter was contagious and his bright smile allowed him to get away with too much.

In contrast to him, Heeseung was quiet and reserved. He's only mostly seen with his closed ones. His mysterious aura yet domineering presence naturally garnered him a lot of attention.

But unlike Sunoo, he never seemed to care.

In fact, he never really seemed to care unless it had something to do with his friends or people he cared about.

I loved my big brother and bless his heart he treated me like a spoiled princess. I used to be a quiet kid, which made it hard for me to acquire friends, so I tended to attach myself to Sunoo at the start of my first, so it means I hang out all the time with his buddies.

They never seemed to mind too much but Heeseung.. well, I do minded him. Not that he sees it.

See the problem was, for as long as I could remember since he stepped foot in our house two years ago, I had never quite realized he'll be my first crush.

I loved his dark, expressive doe eyes. I loved the way his lips get pouty when he's spacing out. I loved the few times his shields dropped around me and he allowed me to get to know him more.

I loved him. I still do.

I wished I could say that I kept my cool and didn't allow this all-consuming love to bleed into my consciousness. But it didn't happen.

How can you move on easily if you were to see that person almost every day?

There were times I'll found myself staring at him or I would get all panicky if I hear he will come and to the point, my sister, Dahyun had already connected the dots and she knew.

The only issue was that he obviously did not love me back.

The bigger issue? I didn't stop hoping that maybe someday, he'll notice me.