✗ thirty three✗

⚊ chapter thirty three

And now I know why I am always triggered by the every clash of thunders against the sky.

Now I remember why I'm crying in horror at every sign of lightning out the window in my room.

Now I understood why my brother is always there to sing me to sleep, a way to stop me to recall stuff from that night.

I don't even know how it was started. I could only take a guess from the very beginning of my conversation with Heeseung about the topic of my family being secretive about what happened before we came into this town.

Him unknowingly pointing it out and me trying to remember then was eventually greeted by the sounds of rain which had sparked from the very back of my buried memories to rise up from the ashes.

Suddenly I was brought back to the time I woke up in a warehouse full of childrens my age, the light of thunder filters the whole room and in the flashes of faces, a little girl who I couldn't recapture the name is with me.

She had been like my guardian angel from my time there.

All the memories rushing into my mind in a sudden flux of returns had overwhelmed me, but one thing is clear, the last time I saw her, there was a sign of death everywhere.

When the police arrived to rescue all of the abducted childrens, we were running for the safety but I was taken hostage and this girl, even in her little body, did not hesitate in biting the man who had taken me in his arms.

And then it happens.. I heard the scream of pain from the hostage taker, causing for him to let go and for my body to meet the ground in a rather quite rough fall.

"Sunny, run!", the girl shouted at me in a rush.

And so that's exactly what I did.

Except that I made the very big mistake of looking back while thinking maybe she is running after me. The little me thinks I could meet her again afterwards to introduce her to my family.

She never made it out alive that night, that one thing is crystal clear.

The last glimpse of the memory is that I was crying and screaming for her in the middle of a thunderstorm as the background were in chaos and fear, full of shooting guns for the perpetrators.

Her body bleeding out in the ground is the last thing my eyes laid on before I fainted in a police's arms on our way out there.

On the way to the safety she had never seen again.

After receiving it all in one go, I look back up the window and it's still raining hard before I realized I am in the present, in another person's house, the new sense of safety in my life.

The power is back as well, so I sit down on the nearest sofa near the window. Suddenly tears fell down my face for the girl who I spent the better of my life forgetting.

I have to be brave to face the thunder because I have to in order to recognize what she did to me that night.

"Sunny, what's the matter?", Heeseung asked as he walks forward to me.

I didn't say anything and keep looking at the window with my tears still falling down. Sometimes the thunder cracked so loud, it was making me jump but I tried my best not to be afraid.

For that girl, whoever she was.

"Do you happen to be afraid of thunders?", Heeseung sat down in front of me.

"I'm trying my best to be brave to face the thunders", I said without looking at him, "I don't want to be a coward anymore"

"Don't say that. You're already brave for attempting to face it", he softly said.