✗ forty three ✗

⚊ chapter forty three

It was a Wednesday afternoon. This was the last game for the soccer team before the semestral break, and I really did want to support them. There was just this tiny problem that I'm conflicted about.

Nishimura Riki.

He hasn't been talking to me for like the third week now. On one hand, I was really worried if I did something to offend him. From the last time I remember, in the night of our movie marathon, we were fine.

But then suddenly, homecoming party happens and it was like I wasn't his friend anymore.

"Look", Yuna continued as she tapped on the dashboard of my car, "I know you are stressed by that friend of yours, but what about Heeseung? He'll be expecting you to attend and see his game"

I pulled on my fingers nervously, "What if he doesn't talk to me if I said hi?"

"Then don't do it. Focus on your boyfriend, the captain of their team"

"Okay", I groaned loudly as I stood up to change in the backseat with my school shirt and dark skinny jeans.

My hand twitched over Heeseung's hoodie, the navy blue with the giant words of Junction in the front.

"Wear it, what if it rains?", Yuna said decisively when she saw where I had paused.

I tried not think about it too much as I pulled it over my head and fixed my hair.

We rushed to the field with the hoard of the other students adorned in our school color.

Having been to a few of these now, the excited energy of the large crowd didn't make me nervous anymore. In fact, I was getting so used to it, I'm actually loving the school spirit.

Ryujin was already there, she had reserved us a front row seats in advance, right behind the barrier and near the long bench where the players are to rest with their coach.

I looked out at the players warming up, anxiously scanning the jersey #1. I barely even noticed the crowd as I looked for their captain.

As the music soared, the cheerleaders began their routine. My mouth propped open as they threw Yunjin so high in the air, I thought they would never be able to catch her, but they did.

They were literally dedicated in their positions and I clapped as the crowd goes wild at their ending of a seductive poses with Yunjin being the prettiest in my eyes.

"And now please make a noise for our home boys - the Belift boys!", the announcer yelled as the cheerleaders moved off the field.

Heeseung jogged out with Jake and Ni-ki on either side of him. The rest of their soccer team like Jay trailed behind them, the guy himself looks about to roar as though he was really that riled up to play.

Soon the game was underway and for the first time, my eyes actually landed on Ni-ki rather than to Heeseung because of one thing.

Something was off in the boy's game.

Up until now, he had always appeared confident and goofy and happy all at the same time for each round - excited even. He never let anyone down in each game from what I heard.

But now, it was obvious, even to me in the stands, that he wasn't focused. When he gives up on the first play without trying to fight against the offensive. Later on, I could see Ni-ki was having a heated discussion with his coach before shaking his head and running out the game.

Heeseung had been so close to talk to him, even Jake but the boy shrugs them off all the same.

My breath got stuck in my throat as Ni-ki turned and scanned the crowd in the stands. Even in our distance in between, I felt it in the moment our eyes connected. He's keeping something in his head.