Chapter 20

Isla's POV

After Niall went home, I cleaned up the place, trying to distract myself from what had happened a while ago. I definitely needed answers but I had no way of getting any. I know for sure that none of them would tell me and I had no more Facebook and Twitter to find out.

A part of me wanted to believe that it was just my mind playing tricks on me but it seemed so real. And the picture that I saw of me and Niall kissing from El’s phone just added to my confusion.

Maybe I could somehow trick one of them to tell me but that's going to be hard to accomplish. I guess I’ll just have to see what else happens. 

Just as I finished cleaning up the place, I heard the front door open and then footsteps heading over to me. 

Harry appeared around the corner and walked over to me the second he saw me.

He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around me. “So, how was your day with Niall?” 

I froze for a second, not knowing what to say.

I finally cleared my throat and said, “it was good. We had a lot of fun. We just cooked and watched The Big Bang Theory. How was your day with your mom?” I quickly changed the topic so that I wouldn’t have to talk about my day.

“It was great. I took her shopping and then we had dinner.”

“Sounds fun. But anyways, I’m a bit tired. I think I’m gonna head to bed.”

“Oh. Ok. Well, I’m just gonna shower and head to bed, too. I’ll see you in a bit?” he asked.

“Yup,” I said, nodding. I released myself from his arms and headed up to our room. I went under the covers and laid down, hearing Harry in the shower. 

About 30 minutes later, I heard Harry come out of the bathroom and into our room. I pretended to sleep because I didn’t really want to talk right now. My mind was still swarming with questions and confusion and I know that he’d notice that something was wrong if he tried talking to me.

I continued to pretend to sleep as I felt him climb into bed. I was facing away from him and farther away than I usually am on the bed. Most nights I would lay in his arms but tonight, I couldn’t. I needed time to think. 

Suddenly, I felt his hand go on my shoulder as he leaned towards me and kissed me lightly on my cheek. And then he leaned back and laid down on his side after turning off the lamp.

About 10 minutes later, I heard his quiet snore and I opened my eyes but didn’t risk moving. I stared blankly at the wall as my thoughts brought me back to Niall. Ever since the day that I woke up at the hospital, I had noticed that Niall was acting differently than before. When he came to see me at the hospital, I had noticed that he seemed sad. Even though I know that he was sad about what happened to me, I know that he’s not the type of person to dwell on it. He would move on and be his happy self again. Every one else was happy that I woke up again but Niall had a hint of sadness in his eyes and I couldn’t quite put my finger on why.

And then today, after our food fight and I had fallen on top of him, I could see something in his eyes that I’ve never seen before. I thought that he was going to kiss me but I knew that that couldn’t be true so I had quickly got up to stand. And then when we were taking off our clothes, I saw him gazing at me through the reflection on the window. And the look wasn’t one of a typical teenage boy staring at a half-naked girl. It was a look of longing. And love? I had pretended not to notice that I saw him looking at me and I didn’t let it get to me.

And then that memory.

It seemed so real. It overwhelmed me and I didn’t know what to say or do. I hadn’t said a word to Niall for the rest of the night until he said that he had to go.