Chapter 52

Isla’s POV

I wake up, still in Niall’s arms as he continues to sleep. I look up at his face, the bruises were still present but his eye was less swollen.

I gave him a light peck on his forehead before carefully slipping out of his arms and off of the hospital bed. I went into the bathroom to wash my face and attempted to tame my bedhead. When I got out of the bathroom, I saw someone enter the room.

“Harry?” I asked.

He looked over at me and gave me a smile. After returning the smile, I walked up to him and gave him a hug.

“Hey, I just wanted to check up on Niall.” We pulled away and he looked over at Niall’s sleeping body before turning his gaze back to me. 

“He’s okay, I had to force him to sleep last night. He wanted to stay up.” 

He raised one eyebrow at me and smirked. “Stay up and do what?”

I gasped, realizing what he meant before I slapped him on his arm.

“He just…he…we were just…” I stuttered. I sighed. “Not that, okay?”

“Okay, whatever you say,” he said, a smirk still present on his face.

A few moments of silence passed over us before I looked back up at him.

“Did you want to get some coffee?” I asked. “I don’t think Niall will be up for a while.”

He nodded. “Sure.” 

“I’ll just leave a note for him.” I went to the side table where there was a notepad and a pen. I wrote down that I would be in the cafeteria and that I would be back soon. I placed it upright against the vase on the table. 

Taking one last glance at Niall, we quietly left the room and headed to the cafeteria. We ordered our coffee and we sat down at a table in a corner far away from other visitors. 

A few minutes passed with us blowing on the hot coffee and taking small sips. 

I had wanted to say something to Harry since I woke up yesterday. And now was the perfect time. 

“Harry?”

He looked up from over his coffee cup that we just took a sip of and focused his gaze on me.

“I wanted to thank you for what you did. For calling the police and coming to help us. I don’t know what would’ve happened if…”

I trailed off and looked down at the table, unable to even think about what would’ve happened if help hadn’t come.

“You’re welcome.”

I looked back up at him and he was giving me a small smile.

“But you know, I wish I had come sooner. I wish I was there in the beginning so neither you or Niall would’ve gotten hurt. I wish I was there to stop him.”

His words pained me knowing how he must’ve felt after finding out what happened. But I didn’t want him to feel guilty about anything.

“I know you do,” I said softly. “But…if you were there then…you might’ve gotten hurt, too. I know that he only wanted Niall to come so I know that if you came as well, he would’ve done something to you.”

“I don’t care. I just wish I had done something. I could’ve. I--”

I placed my hand on top of his. “Harry, it’s okay.”

He was starting to beat himself up for it. I didn’t want that.

“You did everything you could. Me and Niall may have some cuts and bruises but we’re still here. Because of you.”