Chapter 13

Harry's POV

“What?” me and Niall said at the same time. We all had puzzled looks on our faces, staring at the doctor. She thinks that we’re still together? 

“But I’m not her boyfriend,” I said, uncomfortably, then I pointed to Niall and said to the doctor, “that’s her boyfriend.”

“Oh, I see,” he said, his face suddenly turned serious, “I don’t know what else to do but for her own safety, you guys are going to have to go along with what she remembers. She experienced a lot of head trauma so if she gets overwhelmed with too many things, she could damage her brain even more and she could go back into a coma and most likely she will never wake up.”

“So you’re saying that we need to lie to her,” Niall said accusingly. The doctor then looked uncomfortable.

“I know it sounds bad but it’s for her safety,” he said, “it’s the only way that she’ll heal and rest and be back to normal.”

“How long will it take?” Niall asked.

“I would give her a month. So that means that everyone will have to go along with anything that she remembers. Small things, you can remind her about but events that would overwhelm her, go along with it or don’t mention it, if it’s possible,” the doctor explained, “that also means that she should stay away from the internet, especially any social media where she might find and read things about herself that she won’t remember. No Facebook, Twitter, anything. I know it’s a lot to do but it’ll really help her in the healing process. And then after a month, she’ll come back and we’ll do tests to see if she’s healed and all better and then you guys can take baby steps in telling her the memories that she’s lost. Right now, just take things slow; allow her to express what she remembers and anything that she recalls in the time period that she’s lost. Don’t try and tell her things that she’s forgotten thinking that she’ll remember because it will only confuse her.” Then his pager beeped and he looked at it. “Sorry, but there’s been an emergency. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to call.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” Lou said. The doctor nodded and walked away. What the doctor just told us was a lot to take in. The things we’d have to do will not be easy, any small thing can lead to Isla going into a coma again. That’s a scary thought. But I will do anything to keep that from happening and help her heal.

Then I remembered what the doctor said about Isla thinking that we were still together. I looked up at Niall and saw so many emotions shown on his face. But the emotion that took over was anger. His face turned red and his hands were clenched into fists. 

Liam put his hand on his shoulder to calm him down but Niall shook it off and walked away. He walked to the exit doors and slammed it open and continued walking until he was out of sight. 

I felt so bad for Niall. He must be so overwhelmed right now. I wouldn’t know how I would handle it if I were in his position.

But right now, I had my own confusions to worry about. What was I supposed to do? Do what the doctor says and go along with Isla, pretending that we were still together? Should I pretend?

Or should I be a good friend and tell her the truth that her and Niall are together? But that would mean that there’s the possibility of her going back into a coma if she became overwhelmed if I told her the truth. 

I absolutely didn’t know what to do.

“You alright, mate?” Lou said, putting his hand on my shoulder. 

I just simply shook my head. I didn’t know how I felt at this moment except complete and utter confusion. I needed someone to tell me what I should do but I’m scared of what that would be.