Chapter 35

Isla’s POV

I froze in my spot as James came for me. I closed my eyes expecting him to grab me but it never came.

I opened my eyes and saw Niall and Harry standing in front of me, protecting me. I looked over their shoulders to see a seething James giving each of them the death glare. 

“Get the hell out of the way,” James spat.

“You need to leave,” Harry said with a strong voice. 

Then I started shaking as James came up close to Harry with a threatening look. I could see the muscles in Harry’s back tighten.

“Get the hell out of my way…or I’ll make you,” James growled. I could see both Harry and Niall clench their fists.

Before things got worse, I pushed in between Harry and Niall to stand in front of James. 

“Stop it!” I shouted. “James, what’s wrong with you?”

James eyes opened wide and his jaw tightened before narrowing his eyes at me.

“What’s wrong with me? I let you go to the party and I find you hugging some other guy,” he said. “Who are they, anyways?” 

I started to cower as his glare burnt into me. “They’re…they’re my friends. From…from back home.” 

“How did they find you? I made sure that that would never happen,” he said.

“Isla, what--”

“Niall, stop, let me handle this,” I said, not looking away from James. I didn’t want Niall or Harry or anyone else to get into this mess. I had to deal with it myself.

“I have no idea how but they just came to visit me,” I explained, trying to hide the fact that I was incredibly scared of him right now. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“Don’t talk to me like that,” he spat. Then he grabbed my arm forcefully and started dragging me to the door. “Let’s go. I’m taking you home.”

“Ow! Let go of me, James,” I cried out, trying to pull myself out of his grasp. I frantically looked behind me to see Niall and Harry coming for me. I started to panic, I didn’t want them to get involved. I looked back at James. 

“James! Let me go! I’m not going home with you!” 

Suddenly, I felt a hand strike me across the face. I gasped at the pain that travelled all over my cheek. 

“I said we’re going home!” 

Before I had time to take in what happened, I felt someone grab me from behind and another set of arms holding me. I looked up and saw Harry looking down at me with fear and worry in his eyes.

“Don’t you ever f*cking touch her again!” 

Niall. 

As tears started forming in my eyes, I heard the sound of a fist coming into contact with someone’s jaw. I looked up and saw Niall on top of James about to take another swing at him.

I pulled myself out of Harry’s arms and ran to Niall, grabbing his arm just before it came down to hit James again.

“Stop, Niall! Please, don’t!” I cried. He looked back at me with surprised eyes but it was also filled with anger.

“Isla,” he said, “he hit you.”

“I know,” I said, “but please don’t do something that you’re going to regret.” I gave him a pleading look.