Chapter 30

Isla’s POV

I was in the middle of my shift, just doing my job. I’ve been zoning out constantly causing the customers to get annoyed with me when I wouldn’t notice them giving me their order. Sophie and Trine had to constantly nudge me to bring me out of my stupor. In all honesty, I didn’t want to be here right now. I didn’t want to go back to my house either…

I was zoning out again, my mind blank and not noticing anything around me. And, once again, I felt someone lightly elbow me on my hip.

“Hey, Isla, you have another customer.”

I shook my head, my eyes taking in the people and the coffee shop, my ears being filled with the sounds of chatter and mugs being placed on saucers. I looked towards Trine, who had been the one to nudge me. I saw her pointing in front of me with a hint of annoyance on her face. I couldn’t blame her, I hadn’t been exactly doing what I was supposed to be doing. 

“Sorry, last time, I promise,” I whispered, giving her an apologetic look. She have me a small nod and went back to making coffee.

I faced towards the counter, my attention on the customer waiting directly across from me at the till.

“Sorry about that,” I said, forcing a smile on my face, “what can I get for you?”

The customer was looking at the menu on the wall behind me while I was talking. When she had finally decided, she looked at me. She was about to talk but froze and her eyebrows furrowed and looked at me with a confused look.

“You look familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?” she questioned.

I froze, my heartbeat quickening. I looked away, putting my face down so she wouldn’t be able to see much of my face. I saw my nametag and quickly pulled it off when she was looking away, looking like she was trying to place my face. 

“Uh…um, d-don’t think so, I’m new here,” I stuttered, looking down again. I’ve been here for a bit over 4 months, that’s technically still new. 

“Hm, well, I’m not from around here, I’m just visiting my cousins so I might’ve seen you from somewhere else,” she said. 

“Or you couldn’t have seen me from anywhere,” I snapped. I instantly felt guilty from the way I was speaking with her. But I just wanted her to stop talking about me. I sneaked a glance and saw her looking down at her hands, looking upset.

“I’m sorry, I’ve just been having a bad day,” I said, shaking my head. She slowly looked up to me and gave me a small smile. 

“It’s okay, I understand,” she said sweetly, “let’s just forget about it.”

I smiled back to her. “Okay. So, what can I get for you?” I was still trying to look away from her so I focused my attention on the numbers on the till. 

“I’ll have a medium caramel latte, please.” 

I put in the price on the till and looked up at her. “Okay. That will be €2.68.” 

She reached into her bag, pulling out a wallet and taking out some change. She passed it to me and I gave her her change. 

“I’ll make you your drink, if you could just wait on the end of the counter,” I told her, pointing to where the drinks were given. 

She smiled and nodded and walked away. I instantly started making her drink, hoping that she was taking it to go. I finished making her drink, putting on the lid, turning around and passing it to her.

“Here you go.”

“Thanks,” she said. 

“Have a nice day.”