Chapter 50

Isla’s POV

It’s been over an hour and the tears were still falling down my face but I felt numb. Seeing Niall’s unconscious body lying on the floor was slowly breaking me piece by piece until I couldn’t feel anything. He could be dying and there was nothing I could do.

Suddenly, I felt someone grab my face roughly, forcing me to look into his eyes.

“See what you did, this is all your fault. You’ve caused the man that you love to risk his life for you.” James spoke so calmly but you could hear the venom in his voice. “Do you know how many of people’s lives you’ve screwed over because you can’t make up your damn mind about who you want?” 

I tried to keep my face emotionless, not allowing him to know how much his words were hurting me. 

“What do you have to say about that?” he asked. Realizing that the tape was still over my mouth, he ripped it off causing the skin around my mouth to burn.

I wanted to yell out in pain but I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of getting what he wanted. He wanted to show that he was in control. 

“Too bad you couldn’t tell him that you love him back. I bet he would’ve loved to hear that as his last words.”

“He’s not dead,” I spat. 

He smirked at me and narrowed his eyes. “Oh, we’ll see about that.”

“Why are you doing this to me?” I could feel tears forming again but I refused to show him that I was weak.

“I told you already, I wanted to give you what you deserve,” he spat.

I looked at him with sad eyes, trying to find anything that could tell me that he could change. That he could be saved. But there was nothing. All I could see was hatred and anger inside his eyes as I stared into his soul. He was a monster and there was no saving him.

“Why won’t you let me be happy?” I breathed.

Something changed in his eyes for a second but it disappeared before I could figure it out.

“Because no one deserves to be happy in this messed up world.” He remained emotionless as he slowly moved away and stood up. 

I thought over his words, surely there was a deeper meaning behind them and I wish that I knew what it was.

Maybe if I knew, I would be able to help him. Maybe I would be able to rid of the demons that were for sure taking over him.

He noticed me looking at him and he scowled at me before he turned his back to me.

I heard a soft groan and once I realized it didn’t come from James, I sat up straight in the chair I was still tied to and focused my eyes on Niall. He was moving slightly but his eyes remained close. 

“Niall.” I cried out.

“Shut up!” James yelled. I cowered back in my seat as I watched James walk over to Niall.

“Don’t hurt him!” Again, I tried to sound strong but you could hear the fear in my voice.

James ignored my pleas and crouched down to grab the front of Niall’s shirt before pulling him up roughly. Niall was still dazed and he swayed as he tried to maintain his balance. His eyes were starting to open but they were glazed over. James pushed him against the wall, still holding onto the front of his shirt.

“Look who’s finally awake,” James drawled.

“Please, James. Don’t hurt him,” I was now sobbing, trying to let my pleas get through to him.