Chapter 51

Isla’s POV

I opened my eyes and looked around the room, waiting for my vision to clear. Once it did, I set my eyes on El scrolling through her phone.

I tried to sit up and my movement instantly caught her attention. She put her phone down on the bed and leaned towards me on her seat.

“Isla, is everything okay?” she asked. 

I nodded. “Yeah, I just want to sit up.” 

I was still struggling so El got up and leaned over to press a button on the side of the bed, which made the head of the bed rise. I was now sitting up and once I got comfortable, El sat back down.

“Where is everyone?” I asked, looking around the room.

“They’re with Niall.”

My eyes instantly focused on her and I could see her trying to avoid my eyes.

“Is he--?” I was going to ask if he was okay. If they were allowed to see him, surely it meant he was okay. 

Right? 

She continued to look at me and I was quickly getting impatient.

“He’s awake, Isla.”

I didn’t know how to react. I wanted to jump up and down in joy but I knew that I was unable to right now in the state I was in. 

“So, he’s okay?” I asked, suddenly feeling more energized.

She nodded. “Yeah, they were able to help him right on time.”

“I want to see him,” I said quickly.

Again, she was trying to avoid my eyes.

“What’s wrong, El?” 

Her eyes shot up at me and she shook her head feverishly. “Nothing, nothing at all. Um, yeah, we can go see him.” 

I slowly got out of bed and stood up. My muscles were a little tense but I slowly stretched to loose them up. 

“Your clothes are over there on the table,” she said, pointing over to my bag placed on the table in the corner of the room. “The doctor said that once you wake up, you’re free to go. You just have to sign some papers at the clerk’s desk.”

“Okay,” I said nodding.

I walked over to my bag and brought it with me to the bathroom. I dressed as quickly as I could, eager to see Niall. I was scared to see how much damage his face took. I was still feeling guilty about what happened to him. I know that I did everything that I could but I just wish that it never happened.

I thought I was going to lose him.

Once I was dressed, I went back into the room and saw El waiting for me by the door. She gave me a small smile before she opened the door for me, allowing me to go out first. I went to the clerk’s desk and signed the papers that I needed to sign.

“They’re on the first floor in room 116,” El said as she began leading the way. The walk to Niall’s room was silent; it was starting to make me uneasy. El would never be this quiet, given any situation. 

I just kept it in the back of my mind, I didn’t want to be worried as we got out of the elevator and headed towards room 116. 

She reached the door first and she lightly knocked before she quietly opened it and peeked in. 

“We’re here,” she said. She opened the door fully and she walked inside and went over to Louis’ side. They all looked at me with an expression I couldn’t decipher. I just ignored it as I made my way over to the bed. Zayn’s body was in my line of vision of Niall but I walked around to get a glimpse of him. I was standing on his side as I finally made myself look at him. I could feel everyone’s gazes on me.