Chapter 34

Isla's POV 

“Isla.”

I finally forced myself to turn around.

Once I did, so many emotions came crashing in as I set my eyes on one of the people I never thought I would see again.

I couldn’t believe it.

He was here.

Louis was standing in front of me, giving me a soft smile, he had his hands in his pockets and he was looking nervously at me.

I didn’t know what to say. A million thoughts and questions were flying around in my head and I didn’t know how to react.

I wanted to break down right here in this spot and then run to Louis and have him hold me in his arms. I wanted to know what it felt like to be safe again. Even though things with me and James were getting better, I couldn’t shake the feeling that being with the people that have always been there for me is what I need now.

But I couldn’t bring myself to just forget everything and come running back to them, there were things that still needed to be mended between us.

And I couldn’t show them how broken I’ve become since I’ve moved here, I couldn’t show them how much I regretted leaving them.

I snapped out of my thoughts and focused on the boy standing in front of me. I couldn’t help but subtly look around and behind him looking for more familiar faces but I saw no one so I brought my eyes back to Louis. 

“Louis,” I said, realizing how shaky my voice sounded. I was still in shock and disbelief. I frowned, still not knowing how to react. I should be happy to see him, ecstatic. But I couldn’t seem to be able to.

“How are you?” he asked, taking a small step towards me, looking like he was trying to be careful, like he was worried that I would run away.

I jumped slightly at his movement and when he noticed, he quickly took a step back.

I don’t think he could handle what I’d tell him if I answered his seemingly simple question truthfully and I don’t think he would accept it if I lied and said that I was okay. So I ignored his question and replied with one of my own.

“What are you doing here?”

I could see his pleasant expression falter at how rudely the question came out of my mouth. I didn’t intend for it to come out harsh but somehow, it did. I wasn’t able to say much more so I just waited for his answer.

“I know this is a complete shock for you but…we…we came for you, Isla,” he said with sad eyes. He said nothing more and waited for a response. 

Why did they come for me? How did they find me? Why now? Why couldn’t they have come and saved me earlier?

I felt my heart break. I was confused to the point that it hurt. I didn’t know what to think. I didn’t know what I wanted.

In any other circumstance I would go back home in a heart beat but now, after everything that’s happened, I was scared about how things would be if I went home. Surely, things wouldn’t be the same anymore. I ruined every relationship I had with each person I cared about. Harry, Niall, the boys, the girls, even my parents. 

It was all because of him. 

Today, I saw a completely different side to him that I haven’t seen in a long time. I felt like he cared about me but I was scared that the next time I see him, he wouldn’t be sweet James anymore. He would start abusing me again in every way possible like he’s done for a long time now.