Chapter 28

Isla’s POV

We had finally reached my house and I nervously took out my keys from my bag and unlocked the door. I pushed it open and James continued to support me into the house and towards the couch in the living room. He sat me down carefully and lifted my sprained ankle to support it on top of a throw pillow he grabbed from beside me.

I observed his face the entire time which had a mixture of concentration and worry on it. I quickly looked away once his gaze moved to the face.

“You alright?” he asked, crouching down and fixing the pillow.

I simply nodded, still feeling uncomfortable with how much James seems to be worrying about me. I was skeptical but I didn’t want to freak myself out at the same time.

“Where’s your kitchen?” he asked.

I cleared my throat and pointed towards the door behind me. “Through that door.”

“And your first aid kit? 

“Under the sink in the kitchen.”

“Alright, I’ll be back.” He stood up and walked towards the kitchen. I heard some scuffling and the water running until he came back with the first aid kit, a basin of water and a clean rag. He placed it on the coffee table and sat down on the side with my bleeding elbow.

I started to lean forward to grab the towel but he stopped me and softly pushed me back to the couch.

“I’ll do it,” he said carefully. Without another word, he grabbed the towel, soaked it in the water and then proceeded to clean my elbow. He cleaned around the wound first, getting all of the dried blood off. 

I winced as he placed the now cold towel on the wound. 

“I’m sorry,” he said, worry on his face once again.

“It’s alright,” I whispered.

He got most of the dried blood off so he opened the first aid kit and got out the rubbing alcohol. He poured some on a piece of gauze and moved it up to my elbow.

He looked at me and said, “This might sting a little bit.” 

I simply nodded, not knowing what to say. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for the pain. I took in a sharp breath and squeeze my eyes and my hands as I felt the harsh sting of the alcohol coming in contact with the wound. My eyes started to water with the pain but soon it died down and it was just a tingling sensation. I slowly opened my eyes and watched him as he taped another piece of gauze over the wound.

“There you go,” he said, looking up at me, “is it alright?”

I observed his work and then looked up at him, “Yes, thank you.”

He smiled back at me. 

“Now, about your ankle, I don’t think it’s broken but you should rest it for the night and see how it is in the morning.”

“Okay.” 

“Um..did-did you need me to help you up to your room?”

“No, no, I’ll be fine,” I replied, “it was starting to feel better on our way here. I’ll be fine.”

He observed me for a few seconds before nodding.

“Alright. Then, if there’s nothing else, I guess I’ll get out of your hair,” he said while standing up.

I slowly took my foot off of the table and tried standing up. He held his hand out to me but I politely waved it away. I was able to stand up and I tried walking on it. It didn’t hurt as much as it did before, which is a good sign.