Chapter 31

Niall’s POV

We were on own way to find Isla. Harry was driving with Louis in the front and me, Liam and a sleeping Zayn in the back. After asking Kara the name of the coffee shop that she saw Isla in, we put it in to Google Maps and headed to Presteigne.

We were about half an hour away and I was growing more and more anxious, nervous, excited, happy and worried all at the same time as we drove closer to our destination. I was biting my nails and tapping my foot on the floor of the car. I was mostly nervous compared to everything else I was feeling. 

“Hey, you mind if we stop for some gas? We’re almost out,” Harry said from the driver’s seat.

“Sure,” I replied. He pulled into the next gas station that we passed by and he parked beside a vacant gas pump and turned off the car.

“Hey, Lou, you mind filling up the car while I clean the windshield? It’s covered in dead bugs,” he asked, while getting out of the car.

A second after Harry asked him, Louis dropped his head back and pretended to sleep, snoring obnoxiously for extra effect.

I laughed, as Harry looked annoyed. He then turned to Liam.

“Liam?”

Liam suddenly cried out in pain.

“Ow! My knee. I seemed to have hurt it.”

“From sitting?” Harry retorted, raising an eyebrow at him. I laughed once again as Liam nodded while pouting and holding onto his knee. 

Harry rolled his eyes and then looked at me.

“Niall? Pretty please,” he looked at me with puppy dog eyes.

I rolled my eyes at him and then smiled. 

“You know I will. Cause I’m a good friend. Better than these idiots,” I joked, getting out of the car, smacking Liam against his head as I hopped over him.

“Hey! My knee does really hurt!” Liam said, holding onto his knee again. 

“Really?” I said, raising an eyebrow at him, “cause I swear I remember you holding onto your other knee the last time.” 

He looked away and then down to his knee, switching his hands back to his other knee. “Oh, um…yeah, well…you know, I wanted to be fair to my other knee, it would’ve felt bad that I was only worried about my other one.” 

“Uh-huh,” I said sarcastically, closing the door and looking at Liam through the open window.

“And I really am sleeping,” I heard Louis say; I looked into the car and saw him still pretending to sleep. I couldn’t help but laugh.

I grabbed the pump and started filling up the car with gas as Harry grabbed the squeegee and started cleaning the front window. I looked into the car as I waited for the gas tank to fill up. I saw Liam grab a potato chip and slowly brought it up to Louis’ open mouth, who was still pretending to sleep. The second Liam put the chip into his mouth, Louis’ eyes shot open and he turned around and smacked Liam in the head. 

“Ow! What’s with everyone hitting me on the head today?” Liam said, wincing and rubbing the side of his head.

“Well, I wanted it to be fair for your head. It would’ve felt bad that you’re only worried about your aching knees,” Louis mocked Liam’s tone from a moment ago and putting air quotes when he said ‘aching’. Me and Harry laughed. Harry had finished cleaning the window and was now leaning against door watching the two boys fight.