Spirit

Lancelot (Yuno) POV:

My research about mana zone with Rachel, Gary and Kathyln was finally complete. It took two years of the four of us working together to be able to develop a mana zone technique. The only limitation being one must be at the solid yellow core stage.

Rachel and I were going to a noble friend's house who lives quite far from Etistin. It is a 6 hour journey even with teleportation gates so we were given a dozen B and A-class knights by our families to escort us. 

'They won't really be helpful seeing I am at AA-class and Rachel is a strong A-class.'

(A/N: I'll be using adventurer classes as ways to measure strength and combat abilities throughout this fic because I think it's a great way of measuring it as it also takes experience into account. Because of this, not only adventurers get the class ranking but normal people can also get it.)

Suddenly, the knight yelled, "BANDITS!"

"Bandits are pretty weak so we should be fine," I told Rachel but still prepared defence spells around the carriage. 

My defensive spells around the carriage were torn apart with just a single attack.

'Did I just jinx myself?' I thought as I struggled to protect both Rachel and myself. 

'Why is this monster here?' I thought as I gasped for breath after clearing the wreckage of the carriage. Rachel lay unconscious behind me while all the guards were dead. 

The man responsible for this was standing in front me, the very air around him freezing. He was the strongest ice mage I had even seen, probably at the silver core stage. 

'And I'm just at the dark yellow stage! This is not fair!' I complained internally while preparing by wind magic spells.

It's shameful to admit but I haven't gotten much strong other than reaching a higher core stage.

'Gary could have beaten him,' I thought bitterly before narrowly avoided icicles shot by him.

'Ahhh! I need to do something or I'll really die!' 

[Mana Zone]

(A/N: All the mana zones will pretty much be the same so I won't name them separately.)

All the ambient mana around me suddenly started to bend to my will. My opponent must have noticed something as his playful expression was replaced by one of wariness. 

'But it's too late now,' I gave a wry smile while wiping out the blood coming out my nose.

I conjured wind blades from all around Ken before shooting them towards him. He swung his giant ice blade to destroy them but was pushed back as they were stronger than before. 

Gripping my white sword, I closed the distance between us and swing down with all my strength. I increased the weight of my attack using gravity magic but it was still blocked rather effortlessly.

His muscles bulged as he pushed me back, the green wind magic and the light blue ice magic clashing hard. Even with mana zone strengthening my attacks, it wasn't enough to win.

'I can't use the mana zone to it's true potential,' I thought as more blood dripped from my nose.

I conjured wind blades from behind Ken that managed to injure him but it wasn't long before he sent me flying. 

'I don't have choice, I need to finish it.'

I stored my sword back into my storage ring before wiping the blood of my nose again. I then gathered all of the ambient mana in the mana zone I controlled.

Ken seemed to have noticed what I was doing as he charged at me but I delayed him with gravity magic.

"Release! Green Wind Hurricane!"

Ken clashed his ice sword against a giant green hurricane that I created using the power of my mana zone. The attack caused a huge explosion that sent me tumbling back next to Rachel. My conscious started to slip but I saw Ken get up with some severe injuries and a half broken sword.

He was glaring menacingly while he came closer to me. 

'No, no!'

"Oh my god, I finally found you Yuno!"

I heard a voice I thought I would never hear again in my life.

"Sylph!" I muttered in a daze. I felt my eyes open and found myself in a completely different location, surrounded by greenery.

"Sylph! Where are we! Where is Rachel!" I asked out in a hurry. "Oh, Yunoooo!" Sylph said as she hugged my neck with her tiny figure.

'How insensitive I was,' I scolded myself internally before smiling, "It's good to see you again, Sylph."

She was crying big tears as she said in a high pitched voice, "Yunoooo! I was looking for you for so long when I came to this world!"

"What do you mean you came to this world?"

"After you d-d-died, my spirit dissolved. But instead of appearing again in the same world, I came here!"

"Where are we?" I asked again.

"Don't worry, we are inside your mind! The time outside is moving so slow it's frozen so you don't need to worry about your friend being killed while you are talking to me!"

I nodded before happily saying, "I am so happy to see you again, Sylph."

"Same here, Yuno! I am still your spirit right?!" she asked.

"Of course."

"Let's bond again!"

With that she pressed her tiny hand against my forehead. Suddenly, I felt my forehead burning as a symbol emerged on my back. 

'Incredible, power is coursing through me without limits.'

"We can't do Spirit Dive or any advanced combination attacks yet but I can still boost your basic attacks to the next level!" Sylph told me.

"Let's go and kill than Ken guy then," I said. 'I want to catch up more with her but we need to rescue Rachel.'

She nodded her head and I blanked out.

My eyes opened and I found myself back in the battlefield. Ken was now a few metres closer so only a few second must have passed here. I got up groggily even with Sylph's power coursing through my body.

He looked shocked as he brought his sword to finish me.

[Sylph's Breath]

One of the most basic attacks yet still stronger than the hurricane spell I used before.

Ken was caught off guard and his weapon shattered into pieces and got knocked out.

My eyes widened in shock as I looked at how strong this spell was.

(A/N: Just to make it clear, Lancelot is not SS-rank yet, Ken had to fight Rachel and other knights as well, however, Lancelot is pretty much S-rank with Sylph's first stage powers. Also, this is a short chapter but that's cause I want to focus on Gary for a mini arc coming next.)