Mask

Gary (Ren Dover) POV:

My days spent with Kathyln were going normal, until he began to appear again. My alter ego. He began taunting me, "Do you think she'll accept you after she learns who you are? Do you think Amanda will be happy knowing you are sleeping with another girl after her death?"

These were just some of his many taunts that he enjoyed dishing out during the night. It became so bad that I was unable to sleep. 

I was invited by Kathyln for another one of her tea parties. Slightly dark bags had started to form under my eyes from my insomnia. After I formed the sound barrier, Kathyln teased me again, "I love you, Gary."

But I had enough. I erupted from my seat and pinned her against the wall. She let out a surprised squeal before trying to squirm herself free from my grip. 

"What are you doing, Gary?" she asked me nervously.

"You, do you really love?" I asked her seriously. She looked at me in the eyes before laughing, "Did telling you 400 times not do the trick? I love you."

I made up my mind. I'll test her today.

"Then let's go on a date," I replied with a sly smirk. 

"H-huh?" she stuttered as she stared at me in disbelief. I let her go just before she asked, "Are you really Gary?"

I simply clicked my tongue and left the room.

I went back to my room and got ready for my date after training, when I came face to face with my alter ego in the mirror.

"Awww, look at this little baby, going on a date with his lovely princess," he taunted.

I simply ignored him and continued changing. 

"Do you really think you have let go of the past just because you are in a different world? Have you really forgotten Amanda? Do you think that Kathyln will love you when you tell her who you are?"

'He sure has a great ability of sneaking past my Monarch's Indifference,' I thought with anger as I shattered the mirror with a punch.

"I'll tell her everything," I said to the cracked mirror, "And if she doesn't accept me, I'll rewrite her memories and just distance herself from me."

I ignored my slightly bleeding hand and exited the room while I heard my alter ego cackle.

Kathyln was literally glowing as she beamed at me. She then worriedly looked at my bleeding hand and bandaged it while mumbling.

'She's too much like her, as I thought I need to do this,' I thought before getting into the carriage.

I took the guise of resting and slowly erased all my memories about Amanda, temporarily of course. 'I need to be sure that I like Kathyln because I like her, not because I like Amanda.'

When we reached our destination, all my memories of Amanda were gone. We were left off to our own devices with pretty much no guards, because there wasn't any need of them.

(A/N: Both Kathyln and Jude are 11 by now.)

Kathyln was at the light orange core stage while I was at the light yellow core stage. Kathyln was skilled enough to be A-rank while I would easily be S-rank, so having B-rank knights guarding us would really be useless.

Both of us were hiding our identity using magic items. 'After all, she is the princess of this kingdom while I am the top genius who won the Three Races Tournament and am also the heir to the most powerful noble family of Sapin, many people would recognise us.'

We could see through each other disguises, these magic tools were fancy. 

"Where would you like to go?" I asked her.

"Anywhere."

"Anywhere? Even a bad place?"

"I trust that you won't take me to a bad place for our first date."

"That trust is a good thing to have," I replied with a slight smile before leading her to a restaurant popular among nobles.

We were quite young but were allowed in after we showed the desk our real ids. 'Hopefully they are smart enough to not leak them or spread rumours,' I thought as I sat in front of her.

I ordered a thick, juicy steak while Kathyln just ordered cucumber sandwiches. 'How does she eat so less?' I thought as I looked how much she was eating.

"I love you," she said out of the blue while looking at me. I felt heat starting to rise up to my cheeks. 

'Monarch's Indifference is broken,' I concluded while focusing on my steak. However, my eyes seemed to have their own mind as they instead tracked every subtle movement Kathyln made.

Be it from the way her eyes lit up as she munched on the children's snacks being branded as real food, to way she gripped the sandwich dearly, to the way she would talk to me lovingly and how she would say 'I love you' without hesitation.

'What is there to hesitate when she already loves me so much,' I thought with a sigh.

After we were done eating, we explored the city. Etistin was quite big and there was a lot of stuff to see.

Slowly, the day turned to evening and it wasn't long before the sun started to dip down. 

(A/N: I really don't know what to write about dating in the medieval times other than eating and sightseeing. )

We both stared at the setting sun, knowing that this wonderful day will now come to an end.

My memories about Amanda came back to me, and I was certain now. 'I like Kathyln not because she is like Amanda, but simply because she is like herself.'

The effect of Monarch's Indifference continued to crumble as I started to speak, "I would like to divulge a secret I have that even my parents don't. When I was born into this world...."

I saw how Kathyln's expressions changed from wonder to horror to awe in the thirty minutes I spent explaining her my old life.

Why I hadn't confessed my feelings to her and what I feared. 

I prepared the mind manipulation magic to wipe her memories of me telling her about my reincarnation in case things went south. What if she really said those things he said she would? What if she called me a monster? Even if I wiped her memories, would I be able to live on?

(A/N: It has to be noted with Gary's memory manipulation that he can't wipe major memories at his current level, especially his own. When I wrote he erased his memories of Amanda, he had changed her in his memories to be different from Kathyln so that he was sure he didn't like Kathyln caused he liked Amanda. Because of this, he would not be able to wipe out the memory of Kathyln calling him a monster since that would create an inner demon inside him like his current alter ego.)

However, she surprised me by laughing. I looked over to her in shock. Her eyes that seemed like the midnight sky met mine and she said, "You didn't confess to me for such a stupid reason."

She tip-toed and got to my height before kissing me on my lips and leaving for the carriage waiting behind us outside the sound barrier.

I touched my lips with my left hand. 

Soft.

And so Monarch's Indifference shattered.

(A/N: Xyrus Academy arc will start soon, just after another mini arc and a chapter describing the battle between Director Cynthia and Arthur and Alistair. I'll be posting those chapters tomorrow so Xyrus Academy can begin from day after tomorrow. I'll be focusing a ton on the arc since it's going to be very important for some of the OC's character development. )