Betrayal

Bairon POV:

[Ultimate Lightning Spell: God Flash]

My entire body became clad in lightning as the surrounding seemed to move at an instantaneous pace. The lightning surrounding me stopped crackling and firing off randomly, instead it strengthened by body to its limits.

This spell that I created together with Gary was meant to be used as a single hit killing attack. It took all the mana I could siphon out of my white core at one time and manipulated in an otherworldly way to boost my physical abilities to something that has never been seen before.

This attack was strong enough to kill Varay if I caught her off guard, and it was our best chance at killing that monster.

Even though the distance between us ceased to exist within a matter of milliseconds, I could still clearly make out the battle happening between the two. Varay was barely deflecting Uto's black spikes by creating white shields of ice, not even trying to counter attack and merely trying to survive.

My sword created purely out of the particles of mana swung down with full force at Uto's head. Suddenly, black spikes started to sprout from the ground, the quickness of their creation making me realise the desperateness of the invader.

Lightning mana directly clashed against the powerful black spikes. Unlike before, my swirling electricity managed to break the black spikes, although only slightly. 

'RELEASE!' I thought before shooting off all the lightning mana gathered around me at Uto. More black spikes sprouted, which I presume is his auto defence system, to block my spell but they were too slow.

'The real strength of this spell is not necessarily its raw power but rather its speed.'

Uto barely registered what was happening before his entire body was sent flying away, every pore of his skin bathing in my mana.

Huff, huff!

I breathed out heavily before clutching my mana core. Although this spell didn't empty my reservoir of mana, manipulating this much at the same time  did some damage that I could only hope was temporary.

"What was that spell?" Varay asked incredulously, her gaze seeming to bore into my head. 

"That was my special attack I made with Gary Whiteborn," I said with a slight smirk appearing on my face.

"Impressive," she admitted, "But we should confirm the status of the Vritra before continuing."

BOOM!

All the rubble that our enemy was buried under suddenly shot away from him. Golden blood poured out almost endlessly from wounds that lay all over his body. His soaking, ripped bandages slowly fell down from his body, revealing tiny studs all over his body.

"HOW DARE YOU HURT THIS GREAT BEING!" Uto roared with anger, causing his mana to be released.   

Earth walls began to erupt from the ground and close all in on him. Magma poured out from the ground as well to attack him.

'Great! Olfred's here now, we have some chance!'

However, something was wrong.

The walls I thought were meant to be trapping Uto instead began to surrounded Varay and I. The golems also seemed to come towards us, ignoring the glaring enemy right in front of us.

"What are you doing Olfred?" Varay asked, her cold voice laced with slight anger.

"I am just doing my job,  Lance Varay." Olfred replied, his expression unchanged before he bowed to Uto, "I am here to assist you, Sir Retainer Uto."

"Ah dammit! Why the hell did you wait so long to take your move?" Uto yelled angrily while blaming the dwarf for not helping him before.

My mind seemed to have gone blank from the sudden realisation. 'Wait, lances can never betray their master because of the artifact,' I reasoned, 'So, thus this mean that all dwarves betrayed us.'

A nasty look replacing the stoic one appeared on Varay's face as she came to the same deduction I did.

"How dare the dwarves betray the Council of Dicathen," Varay said as ice magic poured out from her body, ready to fight our new enemies. I also readied for battle by conjuring a spear made of lightning.

"Stop right there fellow Lances," Olfred said in a serious voice, "Don't dare attack us unless you want the students to die."

I looked behind him to see various golems holding up the tired students and professors of Dicathen hostage. 

"Dammit," I spat out as I let go by spear, the connections between the mana particles breaking apart as I did so. Varay also lessened her control over the ice magic in the vicinity. 

'Their hostages are too valuable to be sacrificed. The genius of the Glidesburn family, the Royal Children of Sapin and Elenoir,  the great mage that reached silver stage at the age of twelve and the twin commoner geniuses.'

"I knew you guys wouldn't dare do anything," Olfred slightly chuckled before continuing, "We'll take out leave now, see you Lances la—"

"These bastards dare hurt my precious body and they are going scot-free!?" Uto cut off Olfred before turning towards us.

"Then, what do you want to do, Sir Retainer?" Olfred asked respectfully.

"At least kill one of the hostages we have then I'll be fine."

'This bastard,' I clenched my fist, 'he acts like a fool but is smart enough to ask for a reasonable demand while acting like he is on the moral high ground!'

Varay took a deep breath, her mind calculating all the possible solution before she said, "Fine, kill anyone you want."

Uto's grin covered his entire face as slowly walked among the students.

"Oh hoh now, who should I kill~ who should I kill~" he sang while looking at each of them.

"Hmm, you are the princess of Sapin right?" Uto said as he held up Princess Kathyln's cheek.

"I like it, your eyes still have fire in them," he said while grinning.

My heart sank as I felt hopelessness wash over me. 'No,' I thought, 'anybody but her. If she dies, then Gary.... Gary will break.'

The Princess's eyes were still full of hope even in this situation. She stared clearing into Uto's eyes, causing him to grin even more as he thought aloud, "Now then, how should I torture you to death?"

Luckily, just before my horrible imagination of what was going to happen to her took over my brain, Olfred interrupted him by saying, "Sir Retainer, I beckon you to finish this quickly by killing her in one strike."

"Fine," Uto said with a sad sigh as he stared down her eyes, "Sadly, it looks like I can't break you like I planned. But you will still die."

A black spike protruded from the ground, aimed for Kathyln's heart.

BOOM!

The black spike shattered into pieces as a familiar figure landed on the ground.

"Sorry for being late, Kathy," he said as Olfred's golems all instantly crumbled. The Princess's eyes were full of tears as she went into his embrace.

He patted her head before trying to calm her down, "It's alright now. I am here to protect you like I promised."

(A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for not uploading yesterday, I just wanted to make this chapter a bit more gripping than normal and the holidays gave me the perfect amount of time to do so. Let me know how you think our not so mysterious saviour will defeat Uto, or if he is even capable of doing so. See you guys next week!)