The Eyes of Aether

(A/N: I just edited some parts of the chapter, I should really start proof reading my chapters from next time onwards.)

Arthur POV:

"COUGH! COUGH! Aughh..."

I woke up to a jolt of searing pain throughout my side, causing me to erupt in a fit of coughs. My whole body felt immersed in a concoction of different kinds of pain, from the stabbing pain to the burning pain to the throbbing pain with the occasional tearing pain radiating over my entire body.

Without the strength to even scream, I was left gritting my teeth as I clenched the side of the bed I was lying on.

They really needed to hurry up and invent anesthesia.

A few minutes later as I got a little more used to the agony my body was in; I feebly turned my head to see Sylvie sleeping next to me.

"How are you feeling, Arthur?" Director Goodsky's familiar voice came from the other side of the bed.

Without the strength to turn my head again, I whimpered, "Never better. Why do you ask?"

"If you have the will to answer sarcastically, I'm sure you'll be okay," she chuckled

If I had the strength to roll my eyes at her, I would have.

'The backlash from using Stage 2 for even such a short period of time is still too great.'

"It's nighttime now, will you be able to participate in the tournament tomorrow?" she asked me with concern all over her face.

"I think so," I nodded weakly before trying to relax my body.

"Your family has been waiting for you to wake up," she informed me, "I have been holding them back but you should meet them now."

I nodded again as I tried to not picture the expression my mother had when she found me in this state.

"Honey! Art is awake!" I heard my mother's voice to my left.

Turning my head was a lot easier if I ignored the pain.

"Hey Mom, when'd you guys get here?" I gave her the best smile I could muster up.

"Are you okay?" I could tell she wanted to hug me but she held herself back after realizing I probably wasn't in the best state for that.

My sister rushed to the other side of the bed and leaned forward. "Brother!! Are you okay now? Does it hurt?" My eyes widened in horror as I noticed that she was about to place her hand on my body to probe me but before she was able to, Mother stopped her.

Director Goodsky came inside with the whole Eralith family, including Tess and Alistair.

"Th-This..." My father took a step back in surprise as my mother gasped, covering her mouth.

"Pleased to finally make your acquaintance, Mr. and Mrs. Leywin," Alduin Eralith, Tessia's father and the former king of Elenoir, grabbed my stunned father's hand and shook it.

"We have always wanted to meet the parents of Arthur and Alistair. It is such a pleasure to meet you in person." Merial, the former queen of Elenoir and Tessia's mother, Merial Eralith hugged my mother, who still had her hands over her mouth in disbelief.

Merial then went to Ellie and patted her head gently. "You must be their little sister. You're so adorable!"

"I-I saw you guys at the announcement a couple of months back..." My father's speaking skills seemed to drastically decline in front of them, which I found surprising since they didn't react this much even towards the king and queen of Sapin.