53.

•°•

•°•

"took you long enough."

Asterin leaned against the wall a small smile on her lips as she watched Newt hide his arm behind his back making her frown, "Hey, uh- what are you doing here, Thomas went to look for you to apologize-" he was cut off by her stepping towards him with crossed arms in front of her chest.

Still staring at his arms with narrowed eyes she raised her eyebrow.

"I don't need your boyfriend's apology nor pity," she said, still annoyed by Thomas, she didn't want to talk to him yet and Newt understood why completely, but the way she kept staring at his arm was making him scared that she found out.

"Newt.." she spoke softly, stepping towards him, "show me your arm." she wasn't asking but was ordering him to do as told, Newt didn't know what to do and didn't dare to move except shake his head at her making narrow her eyes even more. "no," he said.

"why not? if you are wearing a jacket when it's a hot ass day, that means you're hiding something, are you infected?" she raised her eyebrow watching as he suddenly froze as soon as she mentioned the word 'infected', of course, she noticed it. He went pale and looked over to Asterin who also froze dead in her spot.

She shook her head in disbelief.

'she knows.' He thought staring back at her eyes that were wide and full of fear, she walked up towards him with trembling hands grabbed his arm slowly lifted his sleeve staring at the black veins that he didn't notice grew and every vein in his arm was black.

Making it numb.

She looked back up at him with tears covering her beautiful dark brown eyes, she didn't know what to say except open her mouth and let out some inaudible words, "Why didn't you tell me?" she managed to speak, her voice trembling along with her whole body.

"I couldn't- not when you're already suffering." replied Newt pulling down his sleeve, "Suffering? you think not telling me is a good idea?" she asked, tears started racing down her cheeks at the thought of losing her best friend, she let go of his arm but only stared at him as if someone had just stabbed her in the heart.

Newt also could feel the tears blurring his vision but stayed strong, he knew he was going to leave this world one day but the thought of him leaving her alone in probably just a few days made him feel even sicker, Sonya didn't know he was her brother, Minho didn't know that he was infected. but what worried him was the thought of Asterin alone in the world with no one by her side other than her brother or boyfriend.

 It hurt like hell, like the strongest punch to the face she could ever imagine was thrown to her face, But this was the world they live in. It was the harsh reality and it broke her already shattered heart into pieces. Why is it that teenagers have to suffer?

Why is it that she, has to suffer especially?

She wrapped her arms around who immediately hugged her back, "I don't want to lose you, Newt- please-" Asterin spoke, her sobs muffled by his shirt as she hugged him tightly, Newt looked down at the shorter girl and placed his chin on top of her head hugging her as tightly as she did.

"you won't lose me, I will be by your side always, besides you have Chuck, Fry, Minho, Brenda, and Jorge, even Gally, love." he said brushing her hair lovingly, "yeah but no one is better than you," she replied like 5-year-old kid clenching their teddy bear.

She gripped his shirt and cried in his arms whispering that it was all her fault. "it's all my damn fault, I should've noticed-" He wrapped his arms around her as she cried, "no. don't say that, it's not your fault, love." he reassured the girl, "Life isn't full of happiness, my darling, it is also full of death, sad moments, especially in this era where there is a virus roaming around the world and killing most of it."

Asterin listened to him quietly as he spoke, his accent and warming tone calming her down like a blanket that wraps around or covers you, and touches your heart, kind and calm as he smiled softly at the girl who stared up at him with eyes filled with tears.

"Now, now." he straightened his posture with a bright smile, "I need you to stop crying, love, before you get a panic attack. breath for me." he said smiling kindly at her making her nod in agreement and pull away from the hug doing as told.

"You know that I will do anything for you to stay alive, right? Promise me that you'll stay with me, I don't care if you think that you'll break the promise cause you. will. live." she spoke firmly, pointing her finger at him warningly.

Newt rolled his eyes at her stubbornness but eventually nodded, "I want to hear it." she spoke quite harshly, "I promise." As soon as he said that she broke into a smile, her face beaming happily as she tapped his shoulder softly, "Attaboy, we should probably go by now, it's getting late and we have to Kidnap that bitch from the city."

She walked away already thinking of a way to save him, Newt shook his head at what he had just done, "Why Newt, why do you always promise!" he whispered harshly to himself, it sometimes pisses him off how he has a soft spot for Asterin and Thomas.

And made him promise something that he can't keep.

•°•

Chuck ran towards Asterin as soon she appeared walking down the stairs, wrapping his arms around her waist as she ruffled his hair with a bright smile on her lips but it soon faded once she noticed Thomas making his way towards her.

"Let's go eat, yeah?" she spoke walking along with Chuck, her arms wrapped around his shoulder as she brushed past Thomas bumping his shoulder harshly making him groan in pain.

Chuck looked between the teenagers in confusion but didn't dare to speak, 'did something happen?' he thought with narrowed eyes.