Chapter two

"So this is Y/N-senpai?" Hikaru and Kaoru synced their speech as usual, giving the newest member a once over, stalking around her lke birds flying over a field of mice, or an inspector looking for clues at a crime scene. "We thought she'd be more..." Hikaru started, "Vibrant." Kaoru finished, looking her over.

Y/N entered music room 3 to discover it's occupants preparing for the days activities. the twins were the first to approach her, as they were the only ones who didn't know what she looked like. of course they'd heard of her, listening in to many conversations where her name came up, especially from the guys in their class. 

"She's pretty enough, that's for sure. But what's her personality like?'' The twins turned to Honey and Mori, looking for answers to their question. 

"Better question is what's her character type?" Renge demanded, also now inspecting the girl, who just stood there wishing she could shrink into her school dress. She hated that she was being evaluated, like some sort of animal for auction. 

"Character type?" Y/N raised an eyebrow, unsure of what exactly that meant. 

"Does she really need one of those if she's the only female host?" Haruhi asked skeptically.

"Of course she does! Knowing her character type is everything for this kind of stuff." Renge insisted. "how else are we supposed to figure out her target demographic?"

"I'm only on a trial run here, why don't we wait to decide my type until after that week is over?" Y/N suggested with a smile that seemed to the untrained eye, meaningful and sincere.

Kyoya knew that smile all too well. Kyoya himself wore that smile. It was fake, obviously so to a person who used the same weapon. it was fake, meant to draw people in, make them trust you and of course feel at ease. It was in his best interest to keep people coming back, to stay in people's good graces. He knew that smile like the back of his hand.

"Kyoya Ootori, I don't believe we have formally met." The raven haired boy introduced himself to the new young lady. He gave her the close eyed smile that he knew looked good, as it had swoomed many girls before her and won over others. It was not too wide or toothy, just a pleasant, seemingly good natured smile. The same fake smile Y/N herself had given people thousands of times over.

"Y/N L/N, pleasure to meet all of you. I'm honored you thought of me for this position." The girl executed a perfectly graceful curtsy. 

"I am Tamaki Suoh, pretty lady, known as the king of this host club." The blond dramatically clasped Y/N's hand in his, giving it a soft kiss as he looked into her E/C eyes. The girl immediately gave him an incredulous look, and slightly tugged her hand away from the flamboyant blond. She would have pulled away quicker, but she did not want to appear rude on her first impression with these boys. 

"I know who you are." she said simply, shifting away from him.

"Ah so my reputation precedes me? Am I as beautiful as you expected, or even more so?"

Before Y/N could figure out the best way to say, I know you because I try to avoid you. The first few guests arrived into the room. A girl with dirty blonde hair and glasses came in, along with a redheaded girl, and a girl with big dark eyes.

The dirty blond girl and the girl with dark eyes had both requested Tamaki, so he left Y/N alone to go and tend to his guests, which she was thankful for. The redhead sat down at the table with Honey and Mori-senpai, greeting them with the typical vigor of their usual guests. 

Once those three girls came in, more and more trickled in slowly, until the room was full of gasping, excited girls. You noticed Kyoya tended to stay at one of the tables in the back, typing on his laptop. It seemed he went unnoticed by the girls unless he wanted to be. Y/N knew that he promoted the sale of items, but she had assumed he did as much actual hosting as the rest of the boys. She was pleasantly surprised to discover this was not the case. 

"Excuse me, Y/N?" the girl felt a tap on your shoulder followed by the voice. She turned, and looked up at the boy who had gotten her attention. He was pleasant enough to look at, mahogany brown hair was tied halfway up, letting the rest fall down almost to his shoulders. His tanned skin complimented his almond shaped, dark chocolate eyes. His nose was squat and upturned, as well as slightly crooked on the bridge, as if it had once been broken. A small mole was visible on his upper lip. 

"Oh hello there," Y/N gave the boy a smile, which made him nervous with excitement.

"I was wondering if it was ok that I requested you, I've always wanted to talk to you but never had the courage." The boy looked at his feet.

"Of course it's ok, that's what I'm here for isn't it?" Y/N led the boy over to one of the tables stacked with sweets, and grabbed one of the tea trays. "To be honest, I was starting to get a little lonesome, everyone else being busy with their own guests and all. You saved me."

The boy seemed to glow at the thanks, following Y/N to sit at the table. He did notice that besides the other hosts, he was the only male in the room. At least that meant he didn't have to share Y/N's attention just yet.

"Tea?" the E/C girl asked the boy sitting in front of her.

"Oh, yes thank you."

"Oh, I'm sorry I never asked for your name." Y/N apologized, pouring the hot tea into his cup. She had never in her life seen this boy, let alone spoken to him so she hadn't the slightest clue who he was. She knew the names of most of Ouran's students, but tended to easily forget the faces of ones that had no connections to her or her family. 

"My name is Ren Nakamura." he laughed nervously. "I suppose I don't really stand out much do I?" 

"Neither do I, so it's ok." Y/N truthfully had absolutely no clue how to do this hosting business. How was she supposed to know what young men wanted to hear from her, and for that matter why had this boy even requested her in the first place?

"You like sweets?" Nakamura asked Y/N, spotting her take a second piece of cake after finishing the first.

"Very much so, do you?"

"I like them, but never enough to eat all that is served to me."

"Would you like to share this piece with me then? I'm afraid I may have already filled up and won't be able to finish this by myself. I wouldn't want the cake to go to waste." A lie. Y/N could have eaten ten more pieces of cake, but she had once heard that boys liked this sort of thing. Besides, it would seem impolite for her to actually eat so many sweets in front of the guests. 

After what felt like much too short to some of the boys, and far too long for Y/N the club activities were coming to a close.Y/N sat and talked with Nakamura the whole time, listening and laughing (albeit fake and polite laughter) the whole time. Mori and Honey liked seeing her go out and socialize more with other people.

"Well, Y/N what did you think of being a host? Did you have fun?" Haruhi cornered the poor girl as she was packing her things to leave.

"I didn't really." She gave a truthful answer, tired from being in host mode for so long. It got tiring to be so nice to everyone constantly. 

"Why's that? You were a natural at keeping that boy entertained." Tamaki told you.

"First of all, I'm not even sure why he wanted to request me. Second of all, that doesn't mean I liked it. Besides, all we did was talk. I'm sure that wasn't very entertaining for him."

"But Y/N-chan you shared your cake with him! Mori says you hardly ever share your sweets." Honey-senpai contradicted.

"I only did that because I didn't know what else to do. I said I would be here on a trial run because I get to eat cake. But after a week I'm out of here." Y/N insisted, finally picking up her school bag and leaving the room. She had no intentions of speaking to most of these people again after this week anyways, so there wasn't much point in buttering them up.