Chapter forty

"Is that a sparrow?" Himari looked down at the little bird that's sitting on Kasunoda's lap.

"Morinozuka-san, what are you doing here?" he asked, surprised by her sudden presence. He never thought a girl like that would be so good at sneaking up on people.

"What happened to him, his leg is all bandaged." Himari gently points to the injury.

"I saw him fall out of his nest the other day, and I could tell he was hurt so I took him to the vet. They said he'd be fine in no time, so I'm taking care of him till then."

"How sweet. see, you aren't as cold as everyone says. say, Kasunoda? Would you mind if I fed it?"

"Uh- sure, yeah go ahead." he relinquished the bird. She's got such blue eyes. and I've never seen anyone with freckles like hers before. she looks nothing like her brother.  Kasunoda thought, observing the girl as she let the sparrow eat seed from her palms. This doesn't make any sense, chicks are usually way more scared of me, I've never had the chance to talk to a girl like this, especially not her. His thoughts continued to run around in his head, attempting to compute why this girl wasn't shaking at the sight of him. She smells nice.

Meanwhile Himari was absorbed in watching the little creature in her hand, or at least that's how she hoped to be coming off. In reality she was hyper aware of the fact that she was so close to Kasunoda, and the fact he was staring at her so obviously. Shit, why is he looking at me? Is my skin breaking out again? She internally panicked. In her eyes, Kasunoda wasn't as scary as everyone made him out to be, he just had some serious resting bitch face. But still, he was cute regardless, she'd thought so since the first time she met him when he got in trouble for fighting. But after many wallets returned to her hands by the man himself, along with apologies and explanations of how he certainly didn't steal them, she liked him even more.

"Look out!" Honey's voice suddenly broke the quiet spell. A cap of paint was flying over, only to be intercepted by a kick from Honey. This made the lid burst open, spilling red paint all over the front of Himari's yellow dress.

"Oh!" Himari startled, the sparrow flying out of her hands. "He flew away. That means he's ok, right Kasanoda?"

"Hey, are you sure you're ok Morinozuka-san?" Kasunoda asked, double checking that she had not sustained any injuries.

Before she had a chance to respond, yelling could be heard. "Hey, let go of me you bastard!" the first said. Mori appeared from behind a bush, dragging two boys behind him. "You're playing dirty Kasunoda!" the second one accused. "First you kidnap our gang bosses kid, then you make us deal with your damn musclebound lackies?"

"The hell is going on here?" Kasunoda stood, confused.

"Don't you get it? They weren't after Mori; they were after you, Kasunoda." Y/N explained. "We didn't say anything until we caught them though, I didn't want you to have to mess with them."

"I can't believe it. So, you helped me? But how come?"

Mori placed a large hand on Kasunoda's head. "We can tell who the bad guys are by looking at them."

"I should probably go back and change." Himari looked down at her stained dress.

"There's a spare uniform in the preparation room, I think it's your size." Y/N told Himari. "I'll go with you."

The two ladies walked off, leaving the boys to their business. "So, what's the deal with you and Ootori?" Himari asked, holding her arms behind her back and wiggling her eyebrows at her older friend. "You two get together yet?"

"We did. But you can't tell anyone, ok?"

"Why not? It's not hard to tell, especially with you two constantly acting like the rest of us don't exist when you're together, and the fact he's always touching you, and -oh yeah- the whole 'my darling' thing."

"We can't have our relationship affect the host club in any way. It's Tamaki's child, practically and it would probably be bad if the guests found out two of their lovely hosts were in a relationship." Y/N confessed. "Besides, there's the whole matter of our parents..."

"You don't think your dad would be psyched about you being with one of the most powerful families in japan? My dad would freak if I landed anyone from a respected family." Himari kicked open the door to the host club room, continuing to talk like nothing happened. "Too bad, stuffy office workers aren't my type, y'know?"

"More of a yakuza boss type girl?" Y/N teased.

"Ritsu isnt my type!" Himari's lips turned into a frown and her arms crossed over her chest, a sure sign she was embarrassed. 

"I never said anything about Kasunoda." Y/N prodded harder, a grin spreading across her face as Himari got more and more red. 

"I dont think it's my family who would have a problem with it, I'm more concerned for Kyoya's reputation. I don't know how his father would react to him being with someone like me, I don't have any kind of social standing or remarkable achievements. My family isn't even that powerful."

"I think you're underselling yourself Y/N. Kyoya likes you right? So who gives a shit what his family thinks. I love you, and so does Mori and Honey, and we all have great taste so i'm sure Kyoya's father would adore you, even if he does have a stick up his ass." Himari shrugs.

"I'll leave you to change." Y/N leaves the room, going to the back room where Kyoya keeps all the paperwork so she could check some things and take at least a little bit of the load off of him.

Inside the prep room, Himari was peeling off the paint soaked dress from her body, holding it in front of her to inspect how bad the damage was. "I don't think I'm going to be able to salvage this." she sighed. Then she looked down and saw the paint soaked through to her bra. "No! I just bought this!" she cried, unclasping the back and hoping to further inspect the undergarment.

"Morinozuka-san!" Kasunoda called, walking into the room. "Hey, i'm sorry about earlier, are you ok-" his question was cut off when he noticed the current situation. A blush spread over his entire face, body unable to move from its spot.

Himari clutched the bra to her chest, holding it against herself. "Do you mind?"