Chapter thirty-one

"The Haninozuka are a noble family, we excel in martial arts. We've combined styles over the years, to create our very own method of fighting." Yasuchika explained, sitting on one of the many available couches in the club room. Y/N was at the tea station preparing one of Chika's favorite herbal teas. "When we're away we study karate and judo, but when we're home we work hard to master the Haninozuka technique. So to make sure we always stay alert, we've been taught that whenever two family members come face to face they must engage each other in battle."

"Come on Yasuchika, we saved you a piece of cake." Tamaki offered the young boy.

"Thank you but I don't care for sweets." Chika declined. "Besides, a basic principle of the Haninozuka technique is refraining from selfishness. So to let myself indulge in sweets would be out of the question."

Y/N shook her head at Tamaki. "Now Tamaki, you should know that shouldn't you? Though I can't say I understand it, I'll respect Chika for his ability to restrain himself. It's quite the task to take on. I did however make you tea, it's not considered selfish to hydrate is it Chika?" Y/N lightly teased him, offering the tray with cups on it.

"Thank you Y/N-senpai." Chika took the cup appreciatively, letting his eyes linger on Y/N, heat rising to his face yet again. Kyoya noticed how the boy acted less himself and more nervous around Y/N. Feeling jealous of a middle school boy was not a feeling he reveled in, so he tried his best to ignore the little crush Chika had on her.

"Hold on. I happen to know of a sweet loving overly pampered little loli-boy who happens to be the next head of the Haninozuka." Hikaru interrupted.

"And he's sitting right over there." Kourou finished, both twins pointing to Honey who was currently eating cake and getting frosting all over his face.

"Let me just say, there's no way I'm ever going to recognize a dimwit like Mitskuni as the next head of our family. There's no doubt my brother is strong. But he lives a decadent lifestyle and has failed to show any self restraint. He no longer has the right to be called a Haninozuka. I cannot allow someone who arbitrarily qui the karate club, only to become hooked on cake and stuffed animals, to the head of the Haninozuka family. Even if he is my older brother. I;ve been meaning to make that clear for a while now." Chika stood to leave, causing the frown on Y/N's face to deepen as he continued to talk. "And another thing Mitskuni, i've said it before and I'll say it again. Stay away from me at school got it?"

"Wait just one moment Yasuchika." Y/N demanded, stepping in front of the boy before he could leave. She would not allow anyone to slander one of her closest friends in such a way, not even his younger brother. "I understand your feelings on Honey-senpai, but it's unfair for you to tell him that he's changed, or that he's any less of a Haninozuka because he likes cake and stuffed animals. You're judging your brother too harshly, and I think you should consider that before making any more harsh judgements."

Chika stepped around Y/N leaving without another word. This caused the girl to sigh, folding her arms against her chest. "Young boys are so much work." she lamented, leaning her head on Kyoya, who had come to stand beside her.

"So, you used to be in the karate club Honey-senpai?" Haruhi asked her older friend. "I had no idea. What made you decide to quit and join the host club?"

"Why did you just say 'the host club' Like that? What are you getting at huh?" Tamaki frowned

"Well no matter how you slice it the karate club is much more reputable than ours is Tamaki." Y/N informed Tamaki.

"If you really want to know," Hikaru started, "Then you'd have to ask Y/N-senpai. She knows the most about Honey-senpai's past." Kourou finished.

Y/N sighed yet again, taking a seat on one of the couches with a plate of cake in her hand. "If I'm going to tell you then it's better if you take a seat. It's a rather long story. It starts back far before the host club was even founded, during Honey's first year of highschool. I of course was only a third year in the middle school division. I remember spending most of the year pouting because Mori had left for high school without me for a whole year. Leon was my only other friend at the time."

Everyone was gathering around now, even some of the guests couldn't wait to hear Y/N's story. Kyoya, though he had work to do, positioned himself at a place in the room where he could still hear Y/N talk. Though he already knew the story, he enjoyed simply the sound of her voice.

"During Honey's first year he was already made captain of the karate club. He was instructed to maintain his image as the next head of the Haninozuka. He worked tirelessly to maintain his self discipline. He cast aside all forms of selfishness, restraining from the things he loves like sweets and other cutesy things. I remember being in the room when Honey's father gave him those instructions. I felt horrible, how could anyone be happy restraining from the things that bring them joy? I could tell Honey wasn't very happy with the way his life was going. Even so Honey tried his very best."

"It was difficult but he worked hard." Tamaki stepped in.

"So he spent more time working on martial arts?" Haruhi asked.

"Wrong! Well aware of what others were saying about him, Honey-senpai worked hard to follow his fathers orders. He sealed away all of his cute possessions, so as not to seem weak." Tamaki continued. Y/N was getting rather annoyed that her friend had stolen the spotlight in her story, especially considering she had been put on the spot to tell it.

"I remember he accidentally ended up sealing some of my things as well." Y/N pouted. "I never did see my elephant plush again did I Mori?" The taller boy shook his head. "Honey took on a hard and fearless disposition, which to be completely honest didn't suit him at all. He even tried carrying his bag in a manly way, and eating 'manly foods'." Y/N began to laugh at the memory. At the time she had been deeply worried about Honey, but now that sufficient time had passed she was able to see the humor in the situation.

"Now that I think about it that was around the time the Honey-senpai fan club was born right?" Y/N began to laugh even harder. "Mori, do you remember when they made those hideous T-shirts?" The girl was practically wheezing now, desperately trying to keep her laughter under control.

"Yeah." Mori gave the usual monosyllabic reply.