Chapter twenty-nine

Authors Note: I know this chapter is paced kind of weirdly, but it's honestly mostly a plot device to explain a little more of Y/N's backstory as well as get Kyoya curious about her romantic past. I'm really exited to release the next chapter because of what happens in it, and it means my options are more open now. I also have a Hitoshi X they/them reader in the works, but truthfully I'm not sure when it will be put onto wattpad. 

for the very first time since she became a host, Y/N was late. she was never late to anything concerning the club, and if she was aware that she would be caught up with something she'd at least call Kyoya and let him know. the fact she was nowhere to be seen and had yet to call worried Kyoya. after a quick interrogation he discovered none of the other club members present knew where she was either. Kyoya was becoming more and more concerned by the second, though he tried to calm himself down. Theatrics were Tamaki's department, there was no need to lose his head over this. 

"Where's Y/N?" Haruhi asked. She was always the last to come into the club, her final class of the day being all the way on the other end of the school.

"We figured she was with you." The twins shrugged.

"No need to worry boys!" Leon burst the door open, striking a pose. His appearance was messy like always. His hair tied in a messy bun at the base of his head, loose curly hairs falling out here and there.the blazer of his uniform was unbuttoned, as well as the first couple of the buttons on his white shirt. He always found the uniforms so uncomfortable and constricting. The tie was even worse, he hardly ever had it all the way up where it should be. Instead it hung loose around his neck like some sort of thick necklace. Kyoya often wondered how he got away with wandering around the school like that and not getting himself dress coded. "I know here out darling Y/N is this after noon. She sent me here to inform you all she's helping out a friend in the baking club today."

"Baing club?" Honey's eyes widened, his mind clearly going straight to the thought of cake.

"Y/N has friends?'' The twins appeared on either side of Leon. Normally they would use him as a sort of armrest, but Leon was several inches taller than them so it didn't really work.

"Listen up men! Club activities will be canceled for today!" Tamaki announced. "We're going on an expedition to the culinary room."

"Expedition! Expedition!" The twins cheered happily.

Kyoya wasn't aware of any friend Y/N had in the baking club, but it put his mind at ease to know where she was and that she was safe at least. The sudden thought struck him that he would get to see her in a more domestic light. She hardly ever talked about her home life during school or club hours, so it was hard to even picture her doing things like baking for fun. Of course baking and cooking weren't very conventional hobbies among the students at Ouran, most having personal chefs at their disposal. But there were enough to warrant the creation of a confectionaries club apparently.

Leon led the group in the kitchens, of which there were only four. They were all on the ground floor of the building, meaning it was somewhat of a long trip. The baking club took residence in kitchen number four. Sweet smells eliminated through the door, making Honey's eyes widen and his mouth water at the idea of what they might be cooking inside.

"Leon, who's that guy Y/N is helping?" Kaoru aked, poking his head into the doorway. He pointed at the taller boy standing next to her, mixing some sort of batter. The two of them were working at the same counter, Y/N working a mixer and he hand mixed something. Their black aprons were covered in flour, some of it even escaping onto Y/N's uniform. Y/N had her hair pulled back into a ponytail so it wouldn't get into the batter. (sorry if you have short hair :p if you do then it's pushed back with a handkerchief.) Meanwhile, the boy's strawberry blond waves were pulled back by a black bandana.

"No way! That's Y/N's ex boyfriend."

"Her what?" the entire host club, bar Mori, asked in unison. Instantly Tamaki and the twins lost their heads, scrambling around and coming to the strangest possible conclusions about everything. Honey and Kyoya had a more reserved but equally confused reaction to this news. Mori stood there, silent as always and unsurprised. Like Leon, he knew about this situation already. He'd been friends with Y/N even longer than Leon, so of course he knew about her ex boyfriend.

"Her dad set them up last year, pretty much forced Y/N into it. Her dad is a grade A prick." Leon explained, making no effort to hide his dislike for the man. "He was super obsessed with her, and then when she finally went out with him it got even worse. She only went out with him out of obligation, she felt like she had to. He hated me because I was so close to her. He had it out for Mori too, but at least he knew better than to mess with a kendo champion. Anyways, after a few months it seemed like Y/N was maybe starting to actually like him, which is funny since he's totally not her type. They broke up after about four months. She never told me why, and I didn't feel like prying."

"Ahem." a cough was heard, and everyone looked in front of them to see a very displeased Y/N. Her arms were folded, bits of her fair falling into her face. Her eyebrows were raised in annoyance, pairing with her mouth which was drawn in a hard line. The look was just like the one a mother gives her child when he did something she told him not to. "What exactly do you think you're doing here?"

"The club just isn't nearly as fun without you around! We missed you!" Hikaru and Kaoru didn't miss a beat, wrapping their arms around Y/N's shoulders and giving their patented grin. "Besides, we wanted to see what was so important you'd miss the club for it. It's rude not to introduce us to your friends Y/N-senpai~"

"Haruka Makino." a smooth voice came from behind Y/N. The boy was standing right behind her, a protective hand on her shoulder. Kyoya's eyes narrowed at the contact, and did not fail to see how Y/N tensed at the unexpected and unwelcome contact. "What business does a club like yours have down here?" he looked the club up and down, as if silently judging them.

"If you don't mind me asking," Kyoya started, his tone implying he could care less whether or not Haruka minded because he would ask his question anyways. "What is so important with your own club activities that you need to ask someone far outside your own club to assist you? Especially someone who already had a prior engagement."

"We're making cakes and cookies for the student teacher meetings. As I'm sure you know Ootori there are quite a lot of students here in Ouran." the way he said Kyoya's last name dripped with disdain. It was easy to tell the two already didn't like each other even though they'd just met. Haruka wasn't an idiot, he knew about Y/N and how she was always so close to Kyoya. and he didn't like it one bit.

"It smells good!" Honey stood in between the two boys, who were glaring at each other. "Can we try some?"

Y/N thought about it for a moment. "We can spare a few cookies, right Makino?" she looked up at the boy. Makino's face softened almost instantly when he looked down at her. he gave her a small pat on the head, similar to the way Mori would, though it was clear to see Y/N was less comfortable with the action from him than she was when Mori did it. 

"Of course, let me grab some of the ones that aren't too hot." he gave Kyoya one last look before rushing off to find the cookies for Honey.

"Y/N, how come you neglected to inform us about Haruka?" Kyoya raised an eyebrow. He didn't like the boy one bit. It was obvious he still had feelings for Y/N, and it didn't settle well with Kyoya. He was clearly trying something, asking Y/N to help him because he knew she wouldn't say no.

"I figured you knew about our history." Y/N shrugged. "You find out all the information you want, and do background checks on everyone anyways." Y/N felt bad for not telling them, but she was afraid for some reason. She didn't want people to know about her romantic past, especially not Haruka. Would this affect her current relationship with Kyoya? Even though she knew Kyoya would never truly like her as more than a friend, the thought that anything might damage their relationship crushed her.