Chapter twenty-eight

"I thought you were going to take a taxi home?" Y/N asked Kyoya as they strolled through the crowded hallways of the expo.

"I am. But since I'm here I might as well take a look around first." Kyoya shrugged.

"I'm surprised this kind of thing piques your interest." Y/N sighed, peering over to a table with jewelry covering its surface. She tugged on Kyoya's sleeve for his attention, causing him to turn his head. "Oh Kyoya look at these."

"Black pearls from Ishigaki island." Kyoya mused looking at them.

"I'm surprised to see them here, considering how expensive they are." Y/N picked up the box carefully to observe the smooth black earrings. She mused over buying them, but in the end sighed and put the box down on the table.

The pair left the table and the earrings behind, continuing their walk. "Say, Kyoya. How come you never talk about your family? Besides the business end of things you've hardly mentioned them." Y/N looked up at Kyoya questioningly. She wouldn't ask why, she knew why he barely mentioned them. But that didn't stop the curiosity from seeping into her mind. She didn't dare mention the trip to Okinawa. "Tell me more about your brothers. You have a sister too don't you? Tell me about her."

"My sister, Fuyumi would get along with you rather well I think. Though she is quite a bit older than we are. She's well meaning,  if a bit stubborn at times." Kyoya mused. "As for my older brothers, I'm not sure there's much to tell. They are each rather exceptional in their own way. The family puts quite a bit of stock into them. Though, as the third son things work out a little differently for me."

"Why's that?" Y/N tilted her head in confusion, urging him to continue.

Kyoya turned, giving her an equally confused look. "as the oldest daughter I realize you might not know how these things work. you never had to make the effort." As the youngest son there is no chance of me becoming the family patriarch. Academic and social achievements are accomplishments my brothers lay claim to a long time ago. Anything I do would have to outshine those considerably. In a way I envy you and Tamaki."

Y/N stopped walking abruptly, causing Kyoya to turn and look back at the hurt and angry expression on her face. her voice was firm with emotion, though never rising above the socially acceptable level. "You still have a chance Kyoya. as long as you are offered a seat at the table there's a possibility for you. I understand that being the youngest is hard in it's own way, but i was never even given the chance to prove myself. my father treats me as if i don't exist. I don't know if i should be perfect or give up, knowing it doesn't matter either way. you at least get the chance, which is something I'll never have. so don't you dare tell me I'm lucky because I never had to try."

"You're right, I apologize. I didn't properly understand your situation." Kyoya apologized. he liked to think he knew Y/N, at least better than most. but the thought never crossed his mind that she would want to be a part of what her family did, but was never granted the opportunity. 

Y/N started to walk again, once again matching stride with Kyoya. "I forgive you. I can't blame you for not knowing, it isn't something I talk about very openly. I've come to terms with the fact that I will never amount to anything in my family. Perhaps I should consider myself lucky, I'll never have to work a day in my life."

"But that's not what you want is it?"

"It doesn't matter what I want." Y/N told him firmly. But even though her voice remained calm Kyoya still heard the soft pain in it. If he had any amount of control he'd give Y/N everything she wanted. She deserves nothing less than the world, all he wanted was to give it to her.

The pair continued to walk, but paused upon hearing an older woman talking to a salesman. "Dear me, pieces from the Komatsu Shoin collection. I never thought that I would find them here."