Chapter forty-three

Authors Note: Thank you guys for 7.6K reads! I hope you guys enjoyed this book, and thanks to all of you who came on this adventure with me. I love every one of you who read this, it's amazing to think so many of you have read my writing. I hope you enjoy this final chapter of, Nothing Comes for Free. 

The club wasn't seeing guests today, as most of the club members would be attending some after school function for the better part of the afternoon. Kyoya and Y/N elected to stay back and work, the budgets, as always, needed work and scheduling issues had to be dealt with. They sat close together on the couch, Y/N pressed against Kyoya's side, peering over at his laptop.

"Tired, love?" Kyoya asked, turning his head to look down at Y/N who had just yawned.

"Exhausted. There's been so much going on. My dad he's..." Y/N hesitated, not sure if she wanted to tell Kyoya the truth, afraid it would hurt him. Even though her father had noticed something different about Y/N, her brothers were perceptive of the change as well. Kyoya had been coming around more, even if it was typically when her parents were out.

"Why have you been hanging around that Ootori boy so much?" her father brought up at dinner two nights previous.

"What do you mean?" Y/N feigned ignorance, not taking her eyes off her plate. She was dreading the day he noticed, praying to stay under the radar for at least a little longer. She'd been with Kyoya for quite a while now, around two months. She wasn't prepared for this yet, she wanted to keep him private still. If they were private, their relationship was perfect, pristine. It was just them, in their bubble, nobody else needed to know.

"You're not dating the boy are you?" her mother chimed in, raising an eyebrow. "You are aware he's the youngest aren't you?" she said it in the same way she would have said the words rotting garbage, as if he was only one step up from a commoner.

"Yes well, I'm afraid the other Ootori boys were already spoken for, and also about ten years older than me." Y/N had to hold back rolling her eyes. "What if I am dating him? You know how prestigious his family is."

"Why not one of the Hitachiin boys?" her mother sighed, "or Takashi! Marrying into the Morinozuka family would be wonderful! There isn't any point to you being with a man who won't have any amount of standing in his family, he won't even be inheriting the company."

"Or perhaps Suoh. he's in that club of yours isn't he?" Y/N's father suggested, taking a drink from his wine glass.

Y/N knew he wouldn't remember, yet still found herself annoyed he couldn't even be bothered to. Where did he get off, telling her who she could and couldn't date, while not even caring enough to remember what club she was in?"The host club. Not that I expected you to remember. And I'm not going to date Suoh, and especially not Takashi. I like Kyoya."

"I don't even know why you're in a club like that, it's a waste. You shouldn't be spending your time with such frivolous things." her mother scolded. "Think of the example you're setting for your brothers.'' The both of you glanced over to Haruka and Himari, who were both eating their dinner, trying not to look Y/N or their parents in the eye, and pretend they weren't listening to the conversation that was happening right in front of them.

"Oh, but spending my time organizing parties and being a part of meaningless organizations as someone's housewife would be such a better use of my time?" Y/N shot back at her mother. "You two have no right to govern my life, and especially not when I've done everything to please you two! All my life I killed myself attempting to get you to see how hard I work, everything I've done, and you never cared. Kyoya is a smart, talented young man, and just because he's not the oldest doesn't mean he won't achieve all the great things he's set his sights on."

"I won't have you wasting the only thing your good for on some boy who'll waste his life trying to live up to his family's name!" Y/N's father practically yelled.

Y/N looked at Kyoya, admiring his features for the umpteenth time. "My father found out about us." she said quietly.

"Ah." Kyoya's face remained impassive. "And?" he asked the question despite already knowing the answer.

"He doesn't like it." Y/N's voice almost broke saying it out loud. She knew she had no plans of leaving Kyoya, no matter what her father said. But if her father disapproved, she could only imagine what Kyoya's family would have to say about it. And besides that, what would happen to them after all of this? After the host club, and after graduation?

"Y/N." Kyoya's voice was soft. "Do you care?"

"What?" she asked, still trying to keep the tears back.

"Do you care about wanting to make him happy?" he asked again, bringing his hand up to rest on the curve of her jaw.

"Part of me will always want him to be proud of me, I think." she began, the tears she'd been trying to keep at bay falling slowly down her cheeks. "But I realized, nothing I do will ever be good enough for him. He never cared about me, beyond what I could do for him. I want to be with you Kyoya, above everything. You support me, you congratulate my accomplishments and you help motivate me to do whatever I set my mind to. I don't care if he's disappointed in me, as long as I have you. All that matters is that I have you."

"I will be here for you as long as you would have me, Y/N." Kyoya promised, pressing a firm, desperate kiss to her lips.

"I think I love you, Kyoya Ootori." Y/N smiled into the kiss. "I always thought that nothing, not even love, came for free. There was never any price to loving you, Kyoya."

"I'm in love with you, Y/N. I've been in love with you since the day I saw you practice the violin, and I realized how much more there was to you than I could have imagined, and I discovered I wanted to know every single part of you. I've never needed anything in return for loving you, because seeing you, talking to you, it was enough. And yet, the fact I get to have you, hold you and kiss you like this, it's the best thing I could have ever asked for in return over a thousand lifetimes."