Chapter twenty-one

Authors Note: tysm for 500 reads! also not gonna lie but I had no idea how to play kick the can so I literally had to look it up on youtube to write this chapter. I sort of knew how it worked but I'd never played it before so I was so confused. Sorry the pacing of this chapter is super weird, I didn't want to write a bunch of stuff that wasn't important to the plot so it's a little funky.  I'm gonna throw my pride in the trash and ask you guys to go read my Alucard x reader, the chapters are a bit longer, but I'm honestly more proud of that than I am of this one. votes and comments are appreciated, I love talking to you guys <3

Tamaki chanted, his face towards the tree. The rest of the host club, excluding Y/N, were slowly moving closer to him, stopping when he turned around so they wouldn't be caught. It seemed out of all the players the twins were most interested in winning the game. Kyoya and Mori allowed themselves to fall to the back of the pack, lazily playing along to make Tamaki happy. The newspaper club stood and watched in disbelief and confusion as to what in the world the boys were up to.

Tamaki went into the details of commoners' games, and lectured the newspaper club on why they needed to be more down to earth to gain back the trust of their readers. Y/N sat on a nearby bench, reading one of her favorite books. Every so often she would glance up to cast a gentle smile at the antics of the host club, or a glare at the newspaper club.

Y/N kept a careful eye as Akira went over to Haruhi and began to ask her a few questions. "So why did you join the host club?"

"Um, well honestly I joined because I was forced to." Haruhi answered.

Akira continued to probe her for answers about Tamaki's darkside, refusing to believe that a group of highschool boys really did enjoy such childish games.

"I dont think it's that weird." Haruhi looked back at Akira, stating her honest opinion. Y/N and Haruhi both knew the club members, save perhaps Kyoya, were all children at heart. Games like these appealed to their inner child, so neither of them really believed the situation was all that strange or unbelievable. 

"Akira, stop badgering Haruhi." Y/N stepped in, looping an arm through that of her brunette friend. "It's honestly pathetic trying to watch you scramble for a story here. I almost feel sorry for you, it's like watching a bug drown in a glass of water."

"Next we're going to kick the can!" Tamaki announced. "Kyoya and Y/N will be it!"

"If I must." Kyoya sighed.

"But Tamaki I was reading." Y/N complained.

Tamaki kicked the can as hard as he could, causing it to bounce between trees and hit Akira on the head. The other members of the host club raced around in a frenzy, and Tamaki grabbed Haruhi to pull her away from Y/N. The both of them raced into the hedge maze, away from Kyoya.

Kyoya retrieved the can, setting it upright on the ground. Y/N wandered over to him, however instead of counting along she simply listened to Kyoya's smooth voice count the numbers. However Kyoya only got to number six before the newspaper club and host club members were out of sight.

"Kyoya how come you stopped counting? I thought we were supposed to count higher than that." Y/N asked, though as she said it she was already beginning to piece together what might be going on.

"Just follow me Y/N. I'm sure you'll like what's going to happen next." Kyoya told her, going back into the school building. Kyoya's long strides were hard to keep up with, but Y/N managed. They took a shortcut to the newspaper club room. The twins, Honey and Mori, were already there. Hikaru and Kaoru were sitting on the desk, and Y/N finally figured out what was happening.

"Kyoya, you really did have a plan this whole time didn't you?" Y/N marveled. "I knew you would."

The dark haired boy felt that funny feeling again. The simple act of her saying that made him oddly happy. She trusted him to have things figured out.

The doors to the newspaper room were flung open, revealing Akira and his associates. His breath caught in his throat when he saw the Hitachiin brothers sitting on his desk.

"So we were right all along." Kaoru mused.

"Well, I guess it was pretty obvious." his counterpart added.

"The boss is the only one who hasn't caught on yet. He can be really dense when it pertains to anything about himself."

"I should warn you, if you threaten him there will be consequences."

"Are you ready to have Hitachiin and every other club member's family as your enemy?"

"I knew it! You're nothing but his lackeys! Tamaki's holding his parents power over all of you!" Akira exclaimed.

"That's not true." Honey interjected. "We don't hang out with Tama-chan because of his parents. We love him. We all like being around him and that's why we choose to be here."

"He may be a hopeless idiot but even so," Kyoya started.

"He plays a big role in all our lives, and despite how much trouble he can cause Tamaki is a genuine person, who cares about us as much as we care about him." Y/N finished. the twins weren't the only ones who could pair up their speech.

"Well?" Hikaru asked. "What will you do?"

Please leave Tama-chan alone ok?" Honey requested.

"I'll get you all." Akira seethed. "It's not just about him anymore. I'll write an article that will ruin all of you!"

"Go ahead, be my guest. Although..." Kyoya picked up the first aid kit he'd left with the newspaper club the day before. Pressing the bottom, a disc popped out. "What do you think we should do about this little disc? You see it's been here since yesterday. And it recorded everything."

Akira slumped over, defeated. His club members tried to console him but Y/N stepped over to them. "Let me explain this in a way you boys can comprehend. It would behoove you to remember that the Hitachiin and L/N families alone own enough stock to remove your father from his position as president of the Komatsuzawa publishing firm. However, we would never do something like that. The members of the host club don't see a need to stoop down to your level."

"What we strive for is fundamentally different." Kyoya stood next to Y/N.

With that being said, the group stepped around the newspaper club and back into the garden. It was only a short while before Kyoya figured out where Tamaki and Haruhi were hiding. "I found you." Kyoya sang, causing Tamaki to jump up at the excitement of being found.

"Where's the newspaper club?" Tamaki asked.

"They had to cancel, something came up." the twins chorused. "They said they're going to focus on writing respectable articles. So maybe they'll get by without having to shut down."

"Let's hurry back to the clubroom and eat some cake!" Honey suggested from his usual spot on Mori's shoulders.

"That does sound good. Cake! Cake!" Tamaki chanted.

"Y/N-senpai, I was wondering. Is the Suoh family really that big of a deal around here?" Haruhi asked her.

"The foundation of their business lies mainly in corporate finance, but they do have some extensive real estate as well. Like the Royal Grand Hotel and the Auto Theater. But they also have a hand in things like school management."

"I didn't know that, which school?"

Y/N paused, looking over to Haruhi. "Why this one of course. You've been here long enough I thought you'd at least know what the chairman of the school board's name is. If you think about it, you're able to attend school here because of the financial aid provided to you by Tamaki's family. You should be grateful to them."