note.

Thank you for reading 'In Another Life | Yang Jungwon'

This was defintely one of my first 'angst-y' filled stories that I wanted to write. I've always loved bittersweet endings but never thought I could pull it off myself. I finally challenged myself and was able to write a hard-hitting death of a main character that affected the lives of others, mainly jungwon.

This book was always planned to have a bittersweet ending and I never planned for ayame to live as much as that hurts. I put that girl through hell for real but in all seriousness, there are many instances in lives where people think that if they die, they won't impact anyone but in this case I wanted to show that there are people who will be affected by one's death. Ayame assumed she had no one but her brother but there were others for her as well but she was able to be at peace in the end knowing that everyone else was happy.

In the past i have written stories containing suicide and self-harm but to me those stories don't have backstories and show the progress of how the main character lead themselves into ending their lives. those stories were basically 'they have depression and they killed themself' but for this story i wanted to give more background and backstory onto the main character's life. Some people can just have suicidal thoughts but a lot of the time, there are many events that lead them to that state.

I did my research into eating disorders, depression, insomnia, and etc. Many people see depression as just being sad when it's not. Many people see eating disorders as just being super skinny and that you can just eat. For eating disorders, people who have it overthink a lot of things and it can lead to depression. i wanted to show her progression of how her mental health was slowly contributing to the end of her life over a period of time and even though one may be getting better, it doesn't always stay like that.

I had also always hinted at hyunjin since the beginning but i just didn't want to add the fact that she was a girl to add the suspense and make you guys question whether it was a girl or guy. hyunjin was always supposed to be a sweet girl and I wanted her to support ayame and be another person who would support jungwon as well during his time of grievance.

A sign that someone is about to kill themselves is that when someone is very depressed and has shown many signs about wanting to suicide but suddenly they are happy and are giving gifts are a big sign that someone is going to end their life. They want to have their final moments so it's common they are just closing the last few moments of their life as they already have it all planned out. A lot of suicide victims as well will clean their room, get things in place, dress in nice clothes so that when they are found, they are remembered in a nice way rather than in their worst efforts

I found out it was common(?) in japanese culture [i'm not sure about asian culture in general] that before one commits suicide, they take off their shoes so that when they enter the afterlife, they don't take dirt and etc. into the afterlife

This is a random fact but i actually planned sunoo to be ayame's younger brother but I wanted her brother to be younger than her and jungwon and since sunoo was older, i changed it to riki.

I hope you guys enjoyed this book <3 Have a great day!

-chqnhee