chapter forty four

It was one hour later that I found Ni-ki waiting for me by the lake in the little corner that we sat together away from everyone else

"Hey Ni-ki", I said, sliding into the boulder across from him. Rummaging through the small bag I grabbed from our group's food, I pulled out a chocolate muffin and handed it to him.

He started to protest instantly but I cut him off, "We've been here for quite a long time now. You should eat something"

He took it silently and set it on top of his kneecap. Glancing between the muffin and me, he let out a slight sigh, "There's, um, there's something I need to tell you"

He fiddled nervously with his fingers which is very uncharacteristically manner for Ni-ki. What was he going to tell me?

"What is it then?", I asked gently to put him at ease.

"I-", He let out another sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"Don't you trust me?", I asked teasingly, leaning across the distance to set a hand on his arm.

"No, not. It's not that. I just -"

Whatever confidence he had previously worked up had obviously left him now as he hastily stood up and turned his body to face the lake, his back on me.

"Ni-ki?"

"I'm really sorry but I have to go say it to you next time. Probably"

I sat silently, watching him leave before he join the others to swim down the water. It hadn't taken long for me to work out what exactly it was that he wanted to tell me.

But I couldn't work out why he was so scared to tell me? Did he think that I would think he was a monster?

I sighed internally and stood up from my seat. I gave a one last quick glance to the boys who were now dragging Jay down to the water, I smiled and left them to have fun. Instead of wandering too far away from them, I went to the clearing I saw earlier on our walk here.

This part of the forest was beautiful with different kind of trees it held. It wasn't as magical looking like the menagerie in Decelis but it was enchanting in it's own way. There was a small clearing on the other side and I walked towards it with the wind hitting my face gently, forming goosebumps all over my body.

While walking slowly to where I saw a large rock in the middle, I felt someone was following me. I turned quickly, thinking it was one of the boys who had come to warn me. I then saw a figure emerging from the opposite direction of the lake.

I bit on my lip and started running for it when I sense it couldn't be them. Just before I could reach the end of this clearing, a wolf jump in front of me, making me stop at my path.

I shivered, looking at the wolf. No, it wasn't a wolf, it's two times bigger and there was terrible slash on it's left blind eyes. It's a werewolf.

"Don't step closer", I muttered slowly as I back away one by one.