chapter fifty seven

I lay down in a field of daisies and long grass, staring at the moonlit sky

The blanket feels so warm against my legs, my black dress drawing in warmth under the cover against me.

After my parents' funeral, I had run off not wanting to talk to anyone. I simply had nothing to say. To be honest, as a kid from back then, I'm tired of people comforting me, telling me how sorry they are for me.

I don't want their grief. I just want to be alone.

I decided to run off to the field my mother and I spent afternoons on, having picnics with my brother and I. It's almost natural that I came here to this field, as it is the only place that reminds me both of my parents.

I jump at the sudden feeling of a hand on my shoulder, only to see the friend of my brother who I knew as Jo Asakura, standing beside me, a small bead of sweat above his brow as his black suit almost look the same as the darkness around us in this field.

He doesn't say anything. He just sits beside me watching the moon that always felt like watching us in return. This silence lasts for a few minutes as we both brood in our thoughts.

"Do you think they were in a better place now, Jo?", I ask, breaking the silence.

Eight year old Jo looks over at me, a sad smile etched on his face, "Yes I think they do"

"Do you think I'll see them again?"

"Someday"

We just sit there, staring at the moon above us. We don't want to say anything and we don't have to.

We have each other.

I sit up abruptly, gasping as the dream slowly fades from my mind

I sit up abruptly, gasping as the dream slowly fades from my mind. It was more like a memory than a dream; a memory that is close to my heart. I think I'm starting to slowly recover my memories now that I'm meeting all the people from the past.

The day my parents died was perhaps the worst day of my life, even worse than the day I was nearly killed. That by itself is saying a lot.

My attention is suddenly drawn to the person as I let out a gasp when I recognized the dark-haired boy sitting at my bedside.