3

Carl was asleep on my lap and I was practically sitting in Ricks I was that close, "we need to pack up and leave tomorrow morning, noon at the latest" Everyone looked at me "The city is scarce of people, the walkers are wandering further away and with that car alarm they'll be here by tomorrow night" Tired to explain to them how dangerous staying here was. "We're risking it even staying here tonight, they tend to move faster in the dark'' a few confused glances shot my way "How do you know that?" T-dog asked

"This thing started a week before the government told anyone, I was given a unit and we studied them and found out their movements and their patterns, we were cut off from our families so we couldn't even warn them, I called Shane the second I had the chance" Rick squeezed my shoulder, I wonder how ford and Espinosa are doing, I hope they made it out I thought. "good thing you did, I barely got Carl out" I smiled at him, I hate the man but I got to give it to him, he takes care of Carl. allbe a little too creepy but he was the only one that I knew would look after Carl "I can't thank you enough" Lori went to say something then stopped, Rick probably sent her a glare

I looked to Merle and Daryl, they sat by their fire talking lowly "Ye can bunk with us, sweetcheeks" Merle offered up to daryls dismay "Thanks, Merle" Rick carried Carl and I followed behind gripping the back of his shirt in my hand, I still couldn't believe I found them. Carl settled in between us with Rick closest to the door, Daryl and Merle were on the other side of the tent and they finally fell asleep after a bit of bickering. I didn't get the magic that let all of us sleep comfortably in the same tent but I was too tired to question it further.

Just a dream I told myself, after shooting up from a nightmare. "I'll take watch Dale" he smiled sadly and I wiped the sweat from my brow, "you sure" I nodded and climbed up the letter on the back of the RV. Dale handed me the gun and went into the RV. I put the rifle in my lap and took the time to appreciate the look of the place, it was quiet and serene. It was strange to think that only a few miles away was the city crawling with the undead. Just as the first pink and orange rays of the sun peeked over the ridge, the RV rocked and the sound of heavy boots on the roof filled my ears. I figured it was Rick, usually, he didn't sleep well if I wasn't there "ye tired" it was Daryl I smiled "No" I avoided any bit of eye contact with him and just looked ahead at the colors reflecting in the water in the bottom of the quarry "I'm not one fer feelings" I gathered that much I kept that thought to myself I didn't want to be rude "ye and Rick" he trailed off almost like he didn't know how to put it into words. Softly smiling I turned to him "Take your time Daryl, we'll wait till you're ready"

We had a quick breakfast of some cans of corn and the fish Andrea and Amy caught that morning "How did the fish even get in the quarry" Carl was asking questions that my not fully functioning brain couldn't answer "Don't know kid, just eat" Daryl gave carl the rest of his fish and carl smiled up at him. Rick and Shane got the cars ready while Glenn grumbled that they were ripping the sports car apart, "maybe we'll get to steal another one one day" Rick potted Glen on the shoulder.

We were on the road for what seemed like ages, the belt from the truck we took was a near-perfect fit for the RV it would get us to where we needed to go for the time being, though at some point we would probably have to abandon it somewhere it's a gas guzzler and we just can't afford it even thought it was nice to go to the bathroom in a proper toilet again. Jim and a few others went their way to look for family. We set up camp on the side of the road. Carol was with the kids and Daryl and Merle took Andrea and Amy out hunting, the girls could fish so the boys thought hunting would be easy for them to pick up.

I kept my eyes on Carol's husband Ed. I didn't like the man and it wasn't hard to tell no one else did either. He was of course drinking, where or who brought the booze in I don't know but it was stupid, how are you supposed to keep an ear out if you're under the influence? It was dusk by the time the boys and Andria walked out of the woods, "Where's Amy'' Daryl shook his head and Merle helped Andria sit down, I knew he didn't like people but whatever happened must have been bad if he was like this. Daryl was skinning the small game they caught and the kids were by his side watching him work, I was wiping the blood of Andria

"There were too many, I...I couldn't" she choked up "Hey" I spoke gently "It's not your fault" probably not the best thing to say but I really didn't know how to talk to people, I wish I worked on my social skills before the world went to shit. I sighed as Andria got up and walked away "Where you goin ed" Shane stood "to take a pissed spit on the ground. I never wished death on anyone but if there was a god out there, take Ed first.

"Come on man you know we don't go alone," I think Shane hated him most but the man sure knew how to toss around the rules. "Hey bud" I kissed the top of Carl's head and watched as I walked into the woods saying some not-so-kid-friendly words. I turned back to Daryl to find him staring at me, his pupils dark and it looked like he was taking in everything about me, almost like it finally hit him who I was to him.

Of course, Merle had to break the moment by reaching his hand in and taking the skinned squirrel "What's wrong baby brother, watching stars?" Merle chuckled and Daryl grumbled walking away. Ed stumbled out of the woods holding his arm, and blood ran out of it like a bloody river, "Jesus" I mumbled pulling Sophia and Carl's faces into my chest and telling them not to look. Carol of course cried and Rick came over beside us along with Daryl who had his crossbow aimed at Ed. it didn't take long for the blood loss to take ed and Carol ran over to him, soulmates were a blessing and a curse, you were stuck with them and you fell for them almost instantly the first time you saw them.

"CDC won't have anything" I tried to tell Rick again "They are our best shot" We were on the road at sunrise, and Daryl offered to put Ed down but Carol wanted to do it go carol I thought we didn't have a nervous for him but a few of the guys did bury him for carol. "Rick, I lost contact with them weeks ago, and no one there" I tried to reason with him, but he kept his gaze on the road his jaw clenched and knuckles white from gripping the wheel what's going on with you I wondered "We have to try" I could hear how scared he was "alright" I placed a kiss on his temple and ran my hand through his curls ''eww" the both of us laughed at Carl ''you'll learn son" Rick looked at him through the rearview mirror, Lori sent me another glare, why was she riding with us again?