47

y/n pov

It's been a few days and Carl still hadn't woken up, me and Enid haven't left his side, Rick focused his rage on fixing the place and Daryl has been off hunting all the time the twins wouldn't latch and they wouldn't take the formula either, one of the survivors, Rebecca. Her son was stillborn and she offered to be a wet nurse for them. Michonne and Sasha did their best to look after the kids while we were out of it. I had to get out of the house, doc said he'd probably be out for a few more days. Absentmindedly I wandered to the house me and Carl were held up in, the walkers in the living room were gone but the blood was dry and stained the carpet. There was a small blood trail leading up the stairs and to the master bedroom.

It most likely was mine. The door was ajar, I don't know why I was there but I needed to see it. Daryl and Rick stood in the room both hadn't noticed me yet, the bed was still full of now dry blood and the supplies we used were lying around the pack was gone, no doubt they needed the rest of the supplies that were in it.

Daryl had something in his hand. The floor creaked under my foot causing the two to turn. Their eyes were sunken in, and both were pail, when was the last time they slept "found it under the bed" he held up the squeeze thing you use for clearing the nose and throat "thought I forgot it" I mumbled Rick sat on the corner of the bed and healed his head in his hands "that's twice now" he mumbled "any word on Beth?" Daryl shook his head, she's been missing since the attack "she's smart, she's fine" Daryl continued to fiddle with the thing in his hand "I'm sorry" Rick lifted his head to look at me "you didn't know this was going to happen, no one did"

"Someone let them in, the panel was taken off from the bolts" we had a mole on our hands, "that just means we need to crack down, there's that military outpost we passed, and we need the weapons" we all avoided the elephant in the room and talked about other things "It's overrun" Rick shook his head "doesn't matter find your way in, get everything, trucks, guns, ammo, I want every last MRE in the place, more people on the catwalk, bring back every survivor you find once you trust them hear them up" the two looked at each other and than turned to me "your gearin' up for war" Daryl stated the obvious.

I nodded to them "I met a man named Negan after the prison, he was packing heavy, and not enough food for the small group I ran into ain't scavenging either, which means he's held up somewhere. If we cross paths with him, or...or another group like the governor we need to be ready this time" the whole Negan situation was always at the back of my head. Everything about him was familiar, the way he spoke, his mannerisms, and the way his presents demanded your respect. "It's time we take our heads out of our asses and make this place the fortress she needs to be, were not safe here, not yet" I left I needed to get back to Carl, and that night made me realize truly how easy it would be for me to lose my family, I wasn't going to let that happen if it was preventable. Starting today I was Sergeant major y/n grimes and I was going to turn these people into soldiers.

3rd pov

While y/n watched over her son with a new flame of determination growing in her Rick and Daryl went back to looking into who did it, even though it was a lost cause, they didn't have to tools they needed any more and despite the group being here for a while the people of Alexandria still closed them off so if it was an inside job they weren't going to get an answer.

y/n couldn't take it any longer and stormed to Deanna's house, she had given the woman more than enough time to get over everything. The door hit the wall hard, the door knob making a hole in the chip rock, "Deanna! Get your ass out here now!" she practically growled out "y/n?" the short woman was wary of her, y/n marched up to her "get your ass out there and set them straight, tell them you're giving leadership over to me, you've done shit for this group and your unprepared for what the world is"

Deanna stared y/n in the eyes, she saw how cold they turned "done" Deanna thought over it the first time walkers got in, she was just too scared to say anything about it. She made the announcement to her people that night, and she also said that they could leave if they didn't like it no one would stop them, Rick and Daryl were worried about their wife, Rick only saw that look on her face one time, and that was the night she came home covered in Bella's blood.

Y/n pov

I stood over our bed for what felt like forever, I knew what was under there and I knew the second I put it on I was going to be another person. But it had to be done, I needed to protect my family.

The box was dusty were we really here that long it was a small sprinkle but it was enough to be noticeable, the old brass hinges creaked in protest as I forced them open, there in the box were my blood stained army greens, they've seen better days, it's more repairs than camo fabric at this point.

Under them was the pistol Rick got me one year for my birthday, it was a python to match his own and he had carved his name on one side of the handle, the other was blank missing a name. Quickly I placed it in the back of my pants and placed the greens on the empty dresser. With a last look, I went out to find Daryl.

For a man, who likes to sneak around he's easy to find. "Daryl" both his and Abe's heads turned "everything' alright?" I nodded pulling the gun out and handing it to him. he shot me a confused glance before I walked away. I probably should have told him what I wanted but he's a smart man he'll figure it out.