24

3rd pov

Both Rick and Daryl didn't want to wake them, at some point in the night Carl crawled into their bed "Mornin', Lil ass kicker" Daryl cooed at the little one "when did Carl come in?"

"Around 3, if my watch is correct" both men turned to see y/n sitting on the bed "morning" she greeted them with a nod and a yawn, it was clear she didn't get enough sleep, hell none of them did "I'm going on a run, I saw a store that looked like it wasn't touched"

"I can take Carl, teach him to drive" Rick let out a sigh "he's 13" she quickly got dressed "sooner he knows the better" the four of them left to let Carl sleep in a bit " what if something happens and you're out there?"

"And what if something happens in here, and you all need to leave Rick" he looked to Daryl to get help "he needs to learn, I'm with her" Daryl went on leaving the two to argue, "let's ask him when he wakes up" y/n nodded and went to check the car.

y/n pov

"Mornin hon" I kissed the top of Carl's head before he sat down to eat "morning mom" a few kids at the table behind us snickered but he didn't seem to mind "I was thinking, it's time you learned to drive" he nodded, good to see his table manners are still intact "do you want to come with me on a run?"

"Just the two of us?" I nodded, placing some of my food on his plate "I don't know..." Rick gave me the 'told you' look "I'm leaving in 15, if you want to meet me by the car" I grabbed Judith from Beth and placed my dishes in the sink "um misses, grimes" a boy Carl's age with glasses and curly hair "yes?"

"I.. ah just wanted to say thank you for bringing us in" he was nervous "I didn't, my husbands did, thank them" I pointed to the table I just came from and went on my way.

"What do you think? The army greens or regular cargo pants?" Judy just gurgled causing me to smile "I used to like that y'know, getting ready and going out Espinosa was the best at picking out clothes, I can't wait for you to see her when we find her"

"Hey" I turned to see a smiling Rick leaning on the door frame "be safe" I handed him Judith "Always am" he followed me out after putting on the cargo pants "you and your cargo pants" he laughed "they have pockets, and pockets are useful, if it wasn't for all these pockets Lil ass kicker wouldn't be here" I smiled sadly at my little girl fast asleep in her dad's arms "nether would I" I whispered.

"Take someone with ya?" Daryl took the bag off my shoulders and tossed it in the car "everyone's busy, you need Glenn too in case something happens and I can't get back, Maggie and Carol are with Hershel and you and Merle are on bed rest" Carl came down the hill "what about Michonne?"

"She's off looking for the Governor, remember?"

"I'm going to stay, check the traps, maybe hunt for some birds" I kissed my family "ok but don't go too far, and keep a walkie on you. Don't forget the flare" carl rolled his eyes "I know mom, love you too"

20 minutes later

"Well shit" the store was up in flames. I couldn't go back empty handed so I went forward and passed the warehouse. I found a town pretty far out, "I won't make it back tonight" all the other places were raided either by us or others so the only option was to go forward.

I had the car filled up and ready to go and I only cleared 3 houses. I quickly circled it on the map, we'd have to come back with a few more of us to get a good supply so we wouldn't have to come back out for a while.

Turning out of the town back to the main highway only to see it packed with a herd, they all noticed me and turned their heads, "just one day man, is that too much to ask" I drove back to the town and ditched the car, I didn't have enough gas to go driving around I was just going to bunker down until the herd passed.

I made my way back to the last house on the block, but another herd came from my left, the only place I could go was the right, I'm being boxed in, should have stayed in the car y/n! I chastised myself, all I needed was a place to lay low for a day or two until they passed "good thing I didn't take Carl" I muttered

I was running for a good hour, a long way back to the car. Later I could have just left it but I found a good amount of medical supplies. I stopped to give myself a breather up against a big building, it was the only thing around for a while, so like any sane person I broke a window and crawled in.

The room was clear but I needed to move on, I made sure to barricade the door after checking the halfway, don't need them getting smart, and walking in the window I was a few floors up when I noticed all the medical supplies on the floor "please tell me this is a hospital" I crossed my fingers and found a supply room "a school?" a sweater had 'fort valley state university' on it, i checked my map. I'm 50 miles from the prison, Jesus I went far I stuffed anything that looked like it would be useful, bandages, sterile needles. I filled up my bag and bunked down for the night. It didn't look like the herd would pass anytime soon.