51

3rd pov

Carol and Judith had decided they wanted to do some baking, so with a sneaky trip to the pantry, and threatening a kid they had everything they needed, Judith sat on the counter while Carol did most of the work. That was until Judith got ahold of the flour, she then decided to throw it everywhere, all over the floor, the counter, and the walls, somehow she got it on the ceiling, not to mention that both of them were now completely covered in it.

Michonne had brought back a few polaroid cameras a while back and Carol happened to be one of the lucky people who got their hands on one. She took pictures of her covered in batter, and flour and shoving a fist full of chocolate into her tiny face. At first, Carol felt bad she was having this bonding moment with her but she quickly warmed up to it and it kept bringing back memories of her and Sophia cooking together.

Carol set Judy in her booster seat with some mac and cheese while she cleaned up the monstrosity that she called a kitchen "what do you say about handing some of these out once your done" Judy was really enjoying her food and nodded at the idea "I'll pack them up then" They had made, chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, peanut butter cookies, and tea buns, Carol packed one of each into little baggies so they could hand them out to the workers, they did go overboard with the amount they made but they were having fun, Glenn would just have to go out for a run sooner than her thought.

"Look at you! You're all orange" she laughed with the little girl as she cleaned her face, "let's get you changed, and let's give mom and dad some'' Judy smiled "mama!" Carol Was ecstatic at her first word but sad at the same time she felt guilty again as she heard them before her parents ''let's keep this time a secret and go say it to mama"

The pair didn't need to look far to find her parents, they were with Carl "how's he doing" Rick and Daryl were still in the chairs holding hands, Enid was laying on the bed with Carl, and she seemed spaced out, y/n leaned against the wall smiling at Judy "mama!" Judy called out with her arms out in y/n's direction wanting her mother to hold her, Daryl and Rick's heads snapped up to her and smiled y/n's smile grew bigger, and took her from Carol "hey sweetheart" y/n peppered her face with kisses causing Judith to giggle up a storm. The sweet moment was interrupted by Carl's groaning.

All of their attention was back on Carl, Carol left to get doc "hey bud" Rick was the first one to grab his hand, you could tell he was still groggy from the meds "hey" y/n had to lean over Enid to give him a kiss on his forehead, "mama, it hurts'' it's been a while since he's called her that, hearing it again caused a smile on her face as her eyes watered "I know sweetheart I know" Judy happily giggled "arl!" she yelled and we all smiled. She reached out for Carl "someone wants to see her big brother" Judy curled up on Carl's other side after Doc finished checking him over, Judy let out a small yawn and snuggled into Carl's side before closing her eyes.

y/n looked over her family in the room and now she was more determined than ever to keep them safe, she walked out back and to the church, y/n held the pocket bible in her hand, her left thumb caressed the bullet hole. "Back then I didn't know why you saved me, I didn't believe in you. I still don't fully" her gaze down at the bible and the pictures in it were longing "you protected my family this far, please continue to look over them" shew gazed up at the cross on the wall.

Father Gabe was there when she turned around to leave, they both looked at each other in a silent understanding. Gabe was starting to no longer believe in his god, yet here was the woman that opposed the idea the most, standing in his church, asking a god she didn't believe in to protect her family.