21

Once I was set up, I took a quick survey around the area to see if I could see anyone in the woods trying to do a sneak attack, once I was sure that it was clear I looked into my scope, the second I did I was suddenly back in Iraq explosions were going off and sand was flying everywhere, several of my teammates were running for cover, I looked up to see the prison yard in the middle of the night, the moans from the undead filled my ears.

I looked into the scope once more to find I was back there again "now's not the time" I sighed to myself. I decided to not look back into the scope until I needed to, the rest of the night went by without a hitch. Just as the sun peeked over the trees a bus pulled up, I looked down to scope and saw Rick in the driver's seat. Carol looked up at me and I gave her the hand signal as she ran down to open the gate while I climbed down.

Carl met me at the inner courtyard gates, "where'd he get the bus?" I just shrugged and rested the gun on my shoulder. "We won." Rick came up to us and gave me a kiss, and we watched everyone get off the bus. I didn't see Daryl anywhere. Michonne gave me a sad look and went inside.

Rick explained the rules for living with us and if they didn't like them they would leave, "Rick, where's Daryl?" I handed Carl my gun so he could put them back in the armory, and Rick pinched the bridge of his nose and signed "Rick?" I was getting concerned now "I don't know"

"What do you mean you don't know?" I was holding on to his arm to keep myself from falling to the floor "the governor let out a heard, he led them away so we could get home" he's alive, he'll find us I told myself "I'm going hunting" I went back to my cell to get by bag before heading out to hunt "y/n'' Rick called out, I looked up to him, as he know, I could see it in his eyes. "bring him back" he kissed my forehead.

The first place on my list was the warehouse, it was about an hour from us and on foot even longer. Daryl knew how not to leave a trail but at the same time, he would leave something so he could either follow it back or one of us followed him. I quickly made a fire and roasted a few squirrels to eat on the way. The sun was blazing again today.

The warehouse was covered in walkers, a red grease filled rag in one of the windows, guess my hunch was correct backtracking about half a mile and climbing a tree I shot into the sky, I waited for the herd to pass before walking back to the warehouse, it was just before dusk when I shot the gun so if he was smart he would stay inside, I was counting on it actually. A few stragglers were still around, but nothing I couldn't handle. I knocked on the door three times and waited three seconds then another two, it was the code we all agreed on when we decided this was the meet-up point, there was no sound, and the door was locked, so either he was sleeping, which I doubted or he was hurt.

Sighing I looked at the window on the second floor, it was the office, lucky for me there was a pipe it wasn't far from the window I was going to have to jump and grip onto the inch wide window sill and I only had one chance at it if I fell a broken ankle would be in over and I would be stranded too.

Clearing the walkers that were nearby I cleaned my hands from the dirt with a little bit of water and started my climb, the window was cracked open holding the rag in place so I could easily get it open and crawl in that's good, I'd have to send my pack in first in order to fit, on the mental count of three I jumped, narrowly missing the ledge I was able to grip onto it with one hand i dug my feet on the side of the building but the slick metal did not offer much grip for my boots, with the other I slid the window open, after I got a better grip I slowly slid my bag off one arm at a time and pushed it through the window, I waited for anything to be attracted to the small thunk it made, than pulled myself in.

That whole process was about ten minutes, it was pitch black if Daryl was here he would be hiding in the office, that way if someone did get in he'd have someplace to hide. I pulled my small flashlight from my pocket and slung my bag over my shoulders. The room was empty besides a desk and a few filing cabinets — we stored some food and weapons in them. on the other side was a sofa and the slumped form let out haggard breaths, for a minute I didn't want to know, I didn't want to see but I had too. I shined my light at him, and there he was. I stared at him with wide eyes, tears in my eyes.

"Fuck"