16

We were all standing in uniform rows, waiting for instruction. "All of you have been chosen for a secret task force" the Major walked in front of us "all of you have your assets, and have your faults, only 7 out of the 50 will make up the task force" he stood in the middle in the normal army stance, two lieutenants exactly two steps back in the same positions watching us like a hawk.

I was the youngest, at only 24 I was pulled out of the morning lineup and dragged to this location, I don't even know where it is, a burlap sack was thrown over my head and I was pushed into the car "if you survive one of you will be given the title of Sergeant Major, and you will oversee and instruct the taskforce"

They didn't tell us what the task force would be doing, they just threw us right into the most brutal training we've ever gotten. Take the army, navy, and air force and crank it up to 11. By the end of the day, ten of us were thrown out and deemed unfit.

"You will be here in this position at 0500, dismissed" it was down to me and one other woman, we all went to bed in the shared dorms, that was a problem, especially with the way the men looked at us.

I didn't sleep, just rested my eyes keeping an ear out for any funny business. And just as it turns out I heard shuffling and muffled screams at the other end of the cabin. Slowly I made my way down using the shadows to cover me so the attacker didn't see me.

Espinosa was being held down by two black-haired men, I readied my knife, getting a glimpse of a head of ginger, we made eye contact and at the silent count of three, we sprung into action.

I jumped into the back of the man trying to take her clothes off while Ford took the one holding her arms down, we got them pinned to the ground but we didn't stop, we wanted to make it very clear if you decide to do something stupid. "Grimes" Espinosa pulled me off the unconscious man, by the time I and Ford were fully standing the light was on and everyone looked at us. Our knuckles were bloody and blood splattered on our faces

"Anyone, try something like that again and I will slit your throat so hard your head will be in my hand while your body falls to the floor" a few of them visibly gulped "understood?" I said a little louder, my voice was calm and cold "yes sir" they answered back in unison

I was in and out my vision blurry, I could only hear muffled noises, shadows walked in and out, I couldn't tell if they touched me or not the pain was too much, I groaned in pain the shadow learning over me turned and another one hobbled in soon after, the new shadow got closer before backing away suddenly my eyelids get heavy I was too tired to fight it and let the darkness take over.

All of us minus two stood at attention "where are Howse and Parker" no one spoke "in med bay sir" he walked up to me, nose to nose "and why is that" he glanced at my wrapped knuckles "they tried to rape Espinosa, I and Ford put them in their place" he looked me up and down, I wasn't that big, my metabolism worked like a charm I was mostly muscle "did you get them good?" he voice was a little softer, he didn't tolerate shit like that "yes sir" he nodded and went back to the front.

He took a look and noticed the ones around me were further than they were supposed to be "in formation soldiers" they didn't move "they won't move" lieutenant May walked up to the scene "why is that" the major had a soft spot for her "she gave them a fright last night, correct me if I'm wrong Sargent Grimes but you said and I quote "Anyone, try something like that again and I will slit your throat so hard your head will be in my hand while your body falls to the floor"

"That's correct sir" she turned to the major and whispered something in his ear before leaving "Parker didn't survive the night, Sargent Grimes, you are officially under investigation" the two soldiers started to move but he held up his hand "but I couldn't care less"

For the next two months, it was the same thing over again, me, Ford, and Espinosa worked best together, we didn't know what it was but all we had to do was look at each other and we would know what we wanted to say.

The seven of us stood at attention, waiting on orders "congratulations, you hard asses survived" the general addressed us, he wasn't wrong at least 5 of us died during training, and they probably told the families that they were mia or something like usual "Sargent grimes" I took a step forward "your the youngest and yet you showed the most potential, you took charge when the others did have the balls, you are Sergeant major"

"Espinosa and Ford will be your second and third, you choose which, the rest of you are under Sergeant Major Grimes' orders, she had permission to punish you as she sees fit, you're dismissed" we all saluted him and went to pack out things to go home.

I was more lucid this time around, the shadows now had faces, and most of the time it was Carl that was with me, Daryl and Rick would pop in occasionally but only to see if I was alright, Hershel finally took off the handcuffs when he was sure I wasn't going to croak on them "dad and Hershel started a farm out in the field" I smiled weekly "let's go see it"

"No, you're still on bed rest" I mentally rolled my eyes, I'd been out of the field running around carrying my men to safety in worse condition than this "I've been in here for a week, and the stale air is giving me a headache, I'll sit in the shade once outside" I could see the gears turning "fine but take it slow"

"yes sir"