54

y/n pov

I sat outside the infirmary steps while Merle talked to Carl, the night air was crisp and the sky was clear so the stars shined down, heavy footsteps to my left followed by a soft grunt told me Merle was finished talking to Carl ''what happened to her? Beth's not talking" I asked him. Merle took a deep breath and lit a smoke "we were trekking' through the woods when we heard 'er, when I got there were a couple of guys, she managed to take one of 'em down but she wasn't strong enough, they got what the wanted from 'er" I let out a shaky breath and took the smoke from his hand and took a long draw, "they're dead, your sure" he nodded, we sat in silence as I finished the smoke putting it out by smashing it into the steps beside me, the only ones out were watch "this place is good, secure"

"I sent a group out to the military base a day out for more supplies. There's this guy Negan. I met him when I got separated, it was odd. Something about him was bad news that seemed familiar too. I just can't put my finger on it. Merle nodded "you trained' these people up? Making' sure they survive'' I shrugged, it was hard to train people that didn't want to be trained "hard to do when they never saw the outside world, the people in here's been here since the start, built the walls before the infected came"

The both of us walked back to the house, Merle went off with Liz and his daughter and I went to check on Judith and the twins, they were sleeping in Carl's room. smiling softly I covered Beth up, she was curled up on Carl's bed, and her hair was damp so she probably had a long shower to wash the filth off from the past few days.

Michonne handed me a cup of tea and we sat on the sofa "how's the kid?" I scrunched up my nose at the taste of the stale tea "Beth's sleeping. I'm surprised, Merle said he came across a group of guys that forced themselves on her. Carl's up, talking to Enid seems in high spirits" she nodded and we both enjoyed the rest of the tea in silence, it was rare for a moment like this. A moment you could relax and just enjoy the silence.

I and Michonne took over for Rosita and Sasha on watch shift and we spent the rest of the night walking around the catwalk that went all the way around the top of the walls. "You think we could run a wall of cars around the place, line the side of the road on the way in that way it's another wall of defense" I asked, we always had to keep improving the place "would make expanding easier, we could take the walls down in sections without worrying about the walkers getting in" she added.

It was around 8 am before we were revealed from watch, Carol took Enid up today to teach her some things. Michonne went to check on Carl, she said she found a new comic book on her last run and wanted to bring it over and I went to the kids, Beth already had them up, and Judith was eating, she was making some bottles for the twins "hey kiddo" Beth just gave me a tight smile her eyes looked empty and fed little Merle, I picked up Theo and held the bottle to his mouth and watched Judith, she was getting better at feeding herself, still refused to hold a fork so her fingers got all sticky.