39

y/n pov

We all piled into the two cars no one spoke. They were too on edge about the whole thing. We didn't know who these people were, or why would they just invite us to live with them. The hum of the car and the blurring of trees pulled me into a trance.

Memory

"GET DOWN" Rosita yelled to the team "what the fuck is this shit" Ford came up to my rear "war" I reminded him my mind was running a million miles a minute trying to find a way to get us out of this. "Cap!" the both of us turned the corner to see our captain down, headshot "fuck me" I gritted out "hey, you got this" Ford covered me while I thought it over

"Espinosa on the left, there's three, Ford you're on my 6, Carter, Jameson takes the back entrance take out the snipers, I'll head out first, be the target" they all looked at me like they didn't know whether to follow orders from a low Sargent or not "NOW!" we all scattered.

I ran out into the plaza dodging and taking down the guys on the ground level. After I made my way to Cap I said a silent prayer. The man was a die-hard Christian the least I could do was ask his god to take care of him. "I'm sorry" I raided his weapons and clips.

I stepped out in the open, I knew Ford had my back so I didn't need to worry about that, there were three in the shadows. It took a small shoot-out to get them down "Damn marshmallow, I knew you were good, but you made this like it was just another Tuesday'' smiling I shook my head at Ford ''it is just another Tuesday-"

BANG

The bullet hit me like a ton of bricks, I fell back and hit the ground like a sack of potatoes, my ears still ringing from the shoot-out earlier. I couldn't make out Ford's colorful choice of words. Espinosa ripped open my vest and fell back onto her knees with a sigh of relief "she's good" she healed up my pocket bible with the bullet still embedded in it

"You scared me kid" I just looked at the men standing over me "good? That shit was fucking scary" we all laughed "come on we still need to make it to the pickup sight" I grabbed a few pieces of debris to make a cot "bring cap over, let's take him home"

"y/n" I turned to Daryl, his hand squeezing my thigh pulled me out of my trance. "I'm ok" I gave a sad smile and pulled out the bible from my greens, I silently said a prayer to the Christian god, asking them for this place to work out, it worked once what's stopping them from listening to me again?

"You still have that thing?" Ford said with a laugh "it saved my life once, besides" I opened it to the several wallet-sized pictures of my group's families "it's the only thing I have left of them" he nodded, patted my knee and turned around "they were my family before I met Rick, I owe them everything" I answered Daryl's unasked question.

"We're here" All of us stepped out once the cars we inside the gate, Daryl, Rick, and Michonne stayed close as did Carl who had Judith on his hip "you'll have to meet with Deanna first to see if you can stay, I'll take you to the infirmary to get looked over first"

"How'd you get this" Denise asked "got captured by cannibals" she started to laugh but shut up when she saw how serious I was "Really?" I shrugged "not the first time" she nodded and quickly finished up.

Outside the others waited for me scoping out the place "let's meet the women of the hour shall we" I put on my major voice, I wanted these people to know I meant business and I did. We all stood outside her house waiting to be interviewed, I was last for whatever reason. "You're up" Rick looked sort of spaced out, what kind of questions did she ask the entry was small, devoid of any and all family things, no pictures, no artwork nothing, "come in"

The seat was uncomfortable, most likely to make the people who have to sit here uncomfortable, it was a simple study, again no family pictures "how long have you been out there" we had a little staring contest, well that's what it looked like to her, I was still scoping out my surroundings

"long enough" she gave a curt smile "how-" I cut her off "how long have you been in here" she didn't like that "misses grimes" she sounded like a therapist, I hated therapists "It's Sergeant Major grimes, ma'am" I could tell I was pushing her patience but truth be told I'm not about to roll over and show my belly "since the start, how many children do you have?"

"Four" Her brow creased, I don't like this woman, she's too lax about everything "I only saw two, what happened to the others" how is that any of her business "Beth's mine" her brows raised slightly and she gave me that curt smile again "And the last?" I could tell this is what she wanted to get me riled up "how is that any of your business"

"I just need to know for... safety reasons" her tone was starting to piss me off, it was too sweet, too welcoming "No need, she's dead, her father murdered her before killing himself, happy?" I let her get to me and calm down y/n i took a few deep breaths "I'm sorry"

"No you're not"