Ch.3 The Darkness is my Friend

I was in and out of consciousness in the darkness. It comforts me like a blanket on a cold winter night. I was just there, aware but numb. I don't know how long I was like that. Eventually I grew tired of that. So I thought about my life and choices. From my past life, my relationships, and my choices in this life. It wasn't pleasant to think about, but I realized that shy of me eating the apples myself, there was nothing I could do differently to save Nightmare. It wasn't my fault. It was the villagers and whatever higher power decides our fate in this multiverse. I didn't like it but, I accepted it. Now that our story has played out maybe it's not too late to make a change and maybe figure out a way to get Nightmare back. (I would come to know that by the time I was free it would be to late.)

Time in the comforting darkness was weird. I had no way to measure day or night. Minutes could have been hours. Days could have been years. I was still numb but it seems to keep me from panicking. Either way, I had no way to know how long I was here, so I tried to keep myself entertained. I picked up an old habit I would do when I was alone or bored. I would make up stories in my head with long and elaborate plots. Inspired by anything I remember from Harry Potter to Pokemon. Or even just something more original like an apocalyptic survivor mage trying to get threw a zombie apocalypse. But I tried to stay away from undertale stories. I went over the information I remembered, but I didn't try to come up with anything new. Don't want to accidentally create an au or get confused with reality once I got out.

When I got bored I would sleep, then wake up and start again. I think this helped me keep my sanity in the darkness. Though I would probably still be a bit confused about what was and wasn't reality when I broke free. Not something I am unfamiliar with with my previous schizophrenia. Which I will hopefully didn't develop again. I remember that being something that can develop when triggered later in life due to trauma. Imaginary fingers crossed. (Sadly I wasn't that lucky.)

Then at some point while I was thinking about if I should do an Ash x Serina story, I heard a crack. Followed by another, and another. Until finally, there was light. I was free! I could feel the cold soil beneath my hands, see the red sky above me, smell dirt and rotting plants. It was so overwhelming after being in the quiet darkness for so long. There was so many sensations. It was overwhelming. But logically I knew I couldn't go back. And I would have to adjust to my current situation. So I counted down from one hundred until I was calmer.

Everything was still a bit much, but I felt better. Now that I'd calmed down though, I was aware of the almost overwhelming amount of negativity in the universe. No, not just in the universe, but in the multiverse. That wasn't good. It had seemed as though the balance if feelings was broken. But, why? In the undertale stories I've read it never seems this bad. Sure Corruption was attacking Aus to spread negativity, but the balance seems to be irreparably damaged. Like almost every universe was leaning towards negative. Probably the only reason it hasn't fallen apart completely is because I'm still alive. But I'm not sure for how long. I'm already starting to feel sick from the overwhelming negativity. I'm a positivity spirit. I feed off of the positivity of my surroundings. I'm still a young spirit. I look at myself, I'm probably about 7 or 8 physically due to aging more slowly then normal monsters. At least, the apple healed me. But, without positivity or the magic of the tree I would die. My depression isn't helping the matter either.

I tried to think of a solution to the mess I was in. I could eat one of the positive apples I saved, but that would only be temporary. I need to think long-term. For now though it will have to due. I pull the box with the positivity apples out and grab one. I could feel the positive aura coming of of it tempting me to eat them all, but I resisted. I then put the box back. I look at the beautiful golden apple. It shone like a miniature sun. "Well hear goes," I said and bit into it. It's flavor was intoxicating. I didn't have the time to truly appreciate the flavor last time, but surely its flavor rivals the ambrosia of the mythological gods. I wouldn't be surprised if wars were waged for just a taste of the apple. I could understand why the villagers would want one. As I finish the apple, I feel stronger. I can still feel the overwhelming negativity around me, but it's more like a weight I carry around with me. I also feel more positive myself.

I need to figure out what to do now my spike in positivity might have alerted nightmare of me. So I pull my positivity as tightly around myself as I could and try to get up. I was a little shaky but after I stretch out a bit I should be ok. I start heading away from the now cut down tree towards the woods. I need to make myself scarce. I slowly start moving faster as I head over. I try to think of what Au I could go to. I don't know what was going on in the multiverse so anywhere I go is a risk, even if the AU isn't purely negative. I don't have any friends or allies. But I can't stay here and wait for Nightmare to find me. I sadly don't have a door nearby so I can't try to go to the Omega Timeline. The village was razed to the ground. So I might have to wait for Ink to find me, but then Error sans might find me instead.

Either way I need to keep going no matter what. I can't afford to give up again. Even if my spirit is full of sadness and pain I need to stay positive for Nightmare and my old family. I'll live, for them. It's what they would want. I must remain DETERMINED. And I did. I traveled for weeks threw the barren wasteland of my Au hoping for some sign of civilization. I passed a few destroyed towns, but none of the doors were intact. Until about 3 months later.

I was tired, dirty, and weak due to the lack of positivity. But, I finally found a door. It was actually the only part of the building still standing. I was nervous, but it was the only chance I had to get to a safe place. I close my eyes, grab the knob, and repeat the words Omega Timeline in my head while thinking of Core! Frisk. I slowly open the door. When I opened my eyes, I almost burst into tears. It worked! It was the Omega Timeline. I quickly walked threw the door and was met by a dog monster that seems to had seen better days. They had tired eyes, matted fur, and walked with a limp. But as they came closer toward me their whole demeanor seemed to lighten up. They must be feeling my positivity. I must have let some of it slip in my relief. I had been having a hard time controlling it after eating the apples. It's gotten stronger, but it drains me faster. I pulled my positivity back in.

"Identify yourself!" the dog monster states.

Playing with my gloves, I nervously reply, "My name is Dream, I'm from an Au called Dreamtale."

The dog monster bends down to take a closer look at me. They don't seem threatening, just cautious. "How old are you Dream?" they asked.

"Um, I was seven years old last time I checked, but then I was stuck in a dark place while my body got turned into stone for a long time so I don't really know how old I am now. But, I've been trying to escape my Au for a few months since it's been abandoned." I replied honestly.

The dog monster looked at me in horror, then quickly picked me up. I heard them mumble "So light". Then quickly called for someone to take over watch for them. I didn't really like touching after all the beatings from the villagers, but they were soft and holding me so gently. I hadn't had someone to hold in a long time. They ran to a tent with a red medical cross on it. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but I could feel their worry and anxiety. It was starting to make me nauseous. There were a few monsters laying in beds that seemed to be injured. So the dog monster was probably trying to get me medical help. They call a healer over to take a look at me. I didn't really feel comfortable having someone else touch me, so I hid behind the dog monsters leg. I really needed to ask for their name instead of calling them dog monster in my head.

The healer tried to coax me from behind them, but I just shook my head. Just a they were about to grab me, I noticed someone else coming towards us. I quickly run past them and went behind the new person. "Well this was an unexpected turn of events." I heard them say in an echoy voice.