5. The Challenge🏏

At times Mira wondered if it was just her, but there were situations where her brain would just stop working. As she saw Vikranth stand before her, she went blank. It was as if her brain had gone into shut-down mode. Vikranth looked different, he had gotten a haircut and trimmed his beard. Mira couldn't help notice that he looked just as charming as he did the first time she met him in Boston.

''Mira?'' Naren tapped her shoulder.

Mira turned to Naren who asked, ''Umm, should I open the door?'' That's when it struck her, the awkwardness of Vikranth turning up at her door. She should've seen this coming. After all, he hadn't left Bangalore yet. Mira quickly took out her keys and opened the door as Naren and Vikranth followed her inside.

Naren helped Mira with the bags as she asked Vikranth to take a seat. Naren joined Vikranth shortly in the living space in Mira's flat. As the two men exchanged awkward glances, Vikranth began,

''Mira, I need to talk to you.''

Naren understood his cue and said, ''Umm I guess I should get going then Mira-''

Naren stood up to leave when Mira interjected him, ''Why? You sit, I'll make coffee.''

''I think some other time-''

''Relax Naren, it's fine.'' Mira said curtly. Naren glanced at Vikranth who still had a serious expression and sat back down.

''Vikranth, coffee for you too?'' Mira asked.

Vikranth nodded and replied, ''Uhh yeah sure thanks Mira.''

Mira went into the kitchen to make coffee leaving the two gentlemen alone. 

''So...Vikranth right?'' Naren broke the awkward silence

''Uhh yeah, I actually stay in Boston-''

''Yeah yeah Mira told me.'' 

Vikranth's expression changed. From his initial observation, Naren and Mira seemed very close. He wondered how much Mira had actually told Naren about him. This made him even more insecure. Naren on the other hand, knew everything about Vikranth showing up at Mira's office. She had told him everything on their way for grocery shopping.

''Ohh okay. Well Mira didn't really tell me about you.'' Vikranth frowned.

Naren snickered and replied, ''Well obviously because you guys aren't exactly on talking terms...''

Vikranth kept quiet. This triggered him, he didn't know what Naren thought of him. A moment of silence followed before Naren leaned in closer and said, ''Hey bro listen. Look, I know it's not really my place to interfere in this but I really care about Mira and she deserves to be happy. So I would appreciate it if you could just respect her decision and not create too much trouble...'' he paused for a second and added, ''... because she has friends looking out for her.'' 

Vikranth was nettled by Naren's concern for Mira. He smirked at Naren, placed a hand on his shoulder and replied,

''Oh yes I'm very well aware of Mira's friends looking out for her. But I would appreciate it if you just leave it to the two of us to sort this out. So don't worry bro, you leave this to me and Mira.''

Before Naren could say anything, Mira walked back in with a tray of two cups. Naren stood up and said, ''Alright, hey Mira I really need to leave. Have some errands to run.''

''But Naren I already made coffee-''

''Sorry yaar, you know how bad Bangalore  traffic is. Some other time kay? You guys carry on.''