9. Making friends🥤

''Amma, how much water do I need to add...?''

''Oh...okok. Right, I will call later and sorry. You can go back to sleep''

It was Friday night and Mira had decided to make 'roti' (flat Indian bread) with 'dal'. But as usual, she had trouble making the dough for the roti, as she didn't want them to be too hard. So she had called up her mom, who was still sleeping back in India...😅

Although Mira managed to make the rotis, they weren't as soft as expected...

''Sigh....'', Mira said when she sat down to eat.

''All this work has made me tired and even then my rotis aren't soft. Miru, by the time you learn to make soft rotis, most of your life would have passed...'' Mira said to herself and laughed.

It was at these times Mira felt like a child in an adult's shoes...no matter how much she tried, she just couln't grasp some things...which was okay if she was going to live alone her whole life. But that wasn't the case, at some point she would have to get married and cook for her spouse.

The thought of her future husband eating her dry rotis made Mira laugh and say, 'God bless the poor soul...haha, unless he can cook of course!''

***

The next morning,

''Miru! How many times have I taught you to make roti? And you still tell me that you made dry ones? God...this girl will never learn...'' Sudha scolded Mira on the phone.

''Amma please, I made the dough just like you asked me to, but I don't know what went wrong...'' Mira laughed and said.

''Podi.....okay so what will you eat now for lunch? " Sudha asked.

''I still have some dal leftover, I think I will just cook rice and have that...''

''Okay...and dinner?''

''Dinner? I told you ma, I am meeting Vikranth's friends tonight.''

''Hmm..okay. Good ma, finally you are going out and meeting people. Take care & Have fun, okay? Wait, I will give to Appa.''

''Hello Miru? You're going out?'' Ram asked.

''Yea..Appa, Vikranth's college friend has invited me. So I will be going there tonight''

''How will you go ma?''

''Vikranth will come and fetch me Appa, and drop me back home also, don't worry.''

''Hmm...Okay, be careful ma. And don't stay out too late.''

''Yes.. Appa, even if they insist, I will come back home early.''

''Okay we'll talk later, bye Miru.''

***

It was around 6 in the evening and Mira was getting ready as Vikranth would reach her place around 6:30. Mira was having second thoughts about agreeing to go to Sam's place. When she had spoken to Sam on the phone earlier that morning, she learnt that they were meeting up at a bar and restaurant downtown and few other people would be there.

Being reserved in nature, Mira wasn't fond of meeting new people, so she just hoped that she won't feel awkward and have a good time. After all, she was going to be here for six months, so she needed to start a social life in Boston...otherwise the loneliness would make her go mad!