29. Treachery👺

''Mira's a great dancer, don't you think Vicky?'' Nikhil asked Vikranth who was leaning against the buffet tables with his eyes fixed on the dance floor.

Vikranth turned to Nikhil , smiled and said, ''Eh..yea...''

''Who would have thought...someone as timid as her...she's really showing everyone how to have fun!''

Vikranth looked down and smiled to himself before Nikhil confronted...

''Wait...why are you smiling like that?''

''Like what?'' Vikranth raised his eyebrows and shrugged.

''Woah...hold on, is this what I think it is? You and Mira?'' Nikhil exclaimed

Vikranth frowned at Nikhil for a moment. Just then Abhi walked from behind and overheard Nikhil,

''Did I hear that right Vicky? You and Mira ji?'' Abhi asked.

Vikranth turned to Abhi now with the same annoyed expression and said, ''What? No Abhi. Why would you say that? You both know that we're family friends...''

''It all begins with denial my friend...no wonder you sneak conversations with Mira when we hang out, you remember Nik that day at dinner, how happy our boy looked while laughing with her.'' Abhi teased.

''Bro, you've been stealing looks at her tonight too...that smile on your face earlier just confirmed it!'' Nikhil added

''Okay, first of all, that night, I was just checking up on her as she was facing some problems at work. Second, you can't jump to conclusions based on my behaviour with her, we were just having fun. Besides, I 'm the same with Sam and Tanya too., that doesn't mean I-''

Abhi and Nikhil looked at each other for a moment then burst into laughter. Vikranth frowned.

''Bro, you don't even regard Sam as a girl! Except for today she looks like one in the sari...''

Vikranth glared at Nikhil,

''I mean you guys are close..like too close and comfortable with each other, almost like siblings. As for Tanya, whenever you guys talk, she's either teasing you or it's vice-versa...''

''So you're playing Tanya's role tonight?''

''Arrey Nik, he's not gonna admit, leave it...'' Abhi blankly said.

'Oh back off you two, looks like the alcohol's really taking a toll on you guys!'' Vikranth said while shaking his head and left them.

As annoyed as he was, Vikranth felt that there some truth to Abhi and Nikhil's observations. Perhaps it was the circumstances, that led him to spending more time with Mira so he felt it easier to just be around her. He felt genuinely happy that she was enjoying herself after the New York fiasco...although he couldn't help notice that she looked beautiful tonight. What really caught his attention when he first saw her tonight were her eyes which appeared to be bigger and more captivating than usual...such that they held his gaze for unusually longer. What was he thinking? Why was he thinking like this in the first place?

***

While Vikranth was lost in his thoughts, Mira had gone to the restroom to adjust her lehenga as it was all over the place from dancing. It was when she checked her phone while coming out that she saw two missed calls from Ananth at work. Wondering why he had called at this time, Mira dialed him.

''Hello Ananth?''

''Hi Mira. How are you?''

''Uhh...I'm fine. Sorry, I am out with some friends, which is why I didn't hear your call.''