8. Love Conquers...💕

The entire room was silent. Mira felt her face become prickly with tears as she swallowed hard.

''Waah kya baat hai dost! Cheers to that! Harish and Preethi! Happy Anniversary guys!'' Pratyush said breaking the awkward silence and everyone joined in.

Mira was frozen. Harish and Preethi didn't know what to say and exchanged awkward glances. Preethi looked at Mira woefully. Mira dabbed the corner of her eyes. Vikranth smiled and stood up as Harish thanked him and gave him a hug.

*******

''Sure you'll manage? Harish can drop you guys.'' Preethi suggested.

''Don't worry about it Preethi. I've booked a cab.'' Vikranth said.

''Let us know when you come to Bangalore next time Vikranth.'' Preethi said hugging Vikranth.

''Of course. You take care Preethi and good luck with everything.'' Vikranth said.

Everyone was finally leaving with the anniversary dinner coming to an end. Vikranth turned to Mira and asked,

''Uhh Mira, you can join me. I mean we can share the cab, we'll drop you first.'' Vikranth suggested hesitantly.

Mira wanted to avoid this. After what had transpired tonight, she wasn't ready to say goodbye. Going in the cab with Vikranth will only make things more painful.

''Uhh no it's fine.'' Mira refused.

''Miru! Go with him no? It's so late already, you won't even get an auto now.'' Preethi said.

''Yeah I insist Mira.'' Vikranth said.

Feeling defeated, Mira finally agreed to share the cab with Vikranth.

*******

The journey to Mira's apartment went by in silence. Vikranth would occasionally glance at Mira but she just looked out the window the entire time. Finally, when they reached her apartment, Vikranth got off to say goodbye.

''So...this is it..'' Vikranth said standing with his hands in his pockets. There was sorrow visible in his eyes.

''Yeah...what time is your flight tomorrow?'' Mira asked.

''Uhh it's 7:45 p.m.''

''Ohh okay...text or call when you reach.'' Mira said 

Vikranth nodded. Mira couldn't look into his eyes even though his eyes were boring into hers.

She stepped forward and gave him a brief hug and said, ''Bye Vikranth.'' Before she could let him say anything, Mira turned around and walked toward her apartment. Mira's face felt prickly with tears, she was sobbing as she took out her keys and opened the door.

Vikranth stood as he watched her enter her building, then turned around and stepped back in the cab.

The moment Mira entered her apartment, she broke into big childlike sobs and before she knew it, she was crying. She felt as though a part of her heart was wretched at the thought of not seeing Vikranth again. That was when Mira realised how wounded she was as she felt every muscle in her body ache.

*******

Vikranth came back to the apartment that his friend had lent him for his stay in Bangalore. He finally felt defeated. The possibility of Mira not being in his life anymore felt like a reality now. He took out his phone to dial Sam when the doorbell rang.