47. The Proposal...🌌

It had been a week since Naren's startup launch. Mira was pleasantly surprised when Vibha aunty (Naren's mom) called her up and thanked her for being so supportive of Naren. What really made Mira happy was when she heard that Sankar uncle and Vibha aunty had visited Naren's office and met his friends/colleagues. Vibha had asked Mira to come over for dinner the following Saturday. As usual, Preeti had plans with Harish over the weekend to finalise things for the wedding. 

Mira opted for a long pink ethnic dress for the dinner. On the way to Naren's house, Mira wondered if Naren had suggested the dinner idea to his parents. Then again, Mira had eaten at his place many times when he was in London, so she rubbed that thought away.

***

As Mira approached Naren's home, she heard several voices from inside making her wonder if there were other guests at his place. She rang the doorbell and saw Naren walk over to open the iron door (as the wooden door was already open). Naren smiled widely as he opened the door letting Mira in and said,

''We were waiting for you madam.'' Before Mira could ask anything, she looked across to find her parents sitting on the sofa with Sankar uncle and Vibha aunty. Mira was left surprised...

***

''Amma. Appa! Why didn't you say you were coming?'' Mira said as she walked over to her parents who were standing now. Everyone laughed before Sankar uncle said,

''How do you like the surprise ma?'' 

''Uncle? This was your idea?'' A confused Mira asked. Sankar uncle laughed and looked at Naren who was leaning to his side on the wall and smiling.

Mira hugged her mother and side-hugged her father as Vibha aunty asked them all to sit down. Ram (Mira's father) enlightened Mira as he had a visit to Bangalore planned to see their daughter who was too busy after being back from Boston so he rang up Sankar uncle who gladly offered them to stay at his place. Mira's parents had only arrived Bangalore that morning and would leave on Monday.

''You could've told me at least...'' Mira whined.

''I'm sorry ma, but this boy here stopped me and your father from telling you anything!'' Sankar uncle said.

Mira gave Naren a narrow look. He threw his hands in the air and said, ''Sorry Mira...just wanted to surprise you..didn't know you would end up being shocked.'' Everyone laughed.

***

As she sat down with her parents, Mira updated them about her life after she was back from Boston. She told them about her new post at work and Preeti's wedding preparations. Sudha also shared everything she had heard from Preeti's mother regarding her wedding. That was when Sudha asked her,

''You could've brought Preeti along today.''

''I-I did ask her but she was already tired from all the wedding planning and she even had to go to a relative's place today...so I left it..'', luckily Mira's parents seemed convinced as Mira heaved a sigh of relief. Mira didn't like lying but she definitely couldn't tell her parents that her best friend was out with her fiance at this hour...it would breach the friendship code!

***

Sudha and Mira offered to help Vibha in the kitchen while the gentlemen (including Naren) sat in the living room discussing current affairs. Mira washed the plates before taking them to the dining table when she bumped into Naren outside the kitchen.

''You need some help?'' Naren asked Mira who simply shook her head. 

''The kitchen is already packed Naren, we'll manage. You go sit.'' Vibha told Naren who replied a ''Wokay!'' and went back.