14. Forever begins today! 💕🎉

The day had finally come. Mira had imagined this day in so many different ways, she had even dreamt of it in her childhood. All her dreams had manifested into a beautiful reality today.

The morning began with Mira and Vikranth being made to sit while a paste of sandalwood, kumkum and turmeric was applied on their face, hands and feet by sumangalis in both the families. After this, oil was applied and massaged on their face, hands and feet. Both Mira and Vikranth were made to sit separately in the foyer behind the resort for this rituals. While the ladies were kind to Mira, Vikranth's cousins took advantage of the situation and went wild in smearing him with the turmeric paste. Mira witnessed the scene and badly wished she could join the fun on the other side, but couldn't because of her mother's strict instructions. After the relatives, Mira's friends applied the paste on her face and hands. The ritual was basically a traditional beautification regime before the wedding for the bride and groom. Aside from making the skin look radiant, turmeric also helps reduce stress and relax the body. Mira enjoyed this ritual the most.

*****
''I heard Vikranth had a tough time at the haldi ritual today.'' Preeti said giggling.

Mira was getting ready in her Madisar (traditional Iyer saree) with the help of her mother and chithis.

''Yeah, you saw how his brother were smearing him in haldi, it's like they were taking revenge on him or something!'' Ramya added and giggled.

''Uff oh! You girls are gossiping here. Come here, help Mira get ready. We will go see if the Kashi Yatra has begun. Come on now, quickly. She needs to be ready before they finish the kashi and come.'' Sudha said nervously.

''Oh Ma. It's not like he's actually coming from Kashi. Relax, even if they're here early, they will wait.'' Mira said giggling.

Sudha glared at Mira, ''Mira! Stop talking and focus on getting ready quickly!''

Mira sighed. Preethi told Sudha that she and her friends will help Mira with the rest, before Sudha left the room.

''Where's Pratyush?'' Mira asked Preethi.

''Oh...he's with Harish. Don't worry, it's his duty until your wedding is over. I told Harish already.''

Mira, Ramya and Abirami gave Preethi an impressed expression. 

*******

While Mira and her family were getting ready to officially welcome the groom, Vikranth and his family were all set for Kashi Yatra ritual in front of the temple. The tradition goes that the groom pretends to leave for Kashi to become a scholar. That's when the bride's father stops him and offers the groom his daughter in marriage. So when Vikranth and his family arrived at the entrance of the Vivaaham hall, Ram stood to perform the ritual. Mira's friends had also gone down to witness this custom while she was told to wait upstairs in her room. Mira received a Whatsapp from Preethi which she opened. It was a video of Vikranth in traditional attire, holding an umbrella, and a walking stick and greeting Ram with a warm hug while flowers were showered on him amidst a pool of noise. With the guidance of the Priest, Ram said some phrases in Sanskrit before welcoming Vikranth and his family forward. Mira was amused by how in this ritual her dad had to ask Vikranth to marry her, whereas it had been the other way around in reality. 

*******

Mira was finally escorted downstairs to join Vikranth for the next custom, the Maalai Maatrudal or the exchange of garlands. Mira could hear the Nadaswaram amidst the conundrum of voices in the foyer of the wedding hall. As she approached the crowd of family and relatives, she saw Vikranth slightly bending down to listen to some instructions that the priest was giving. He looked up as he saw Mira walk towards him. A few moments later, Mira and Vikranth stood facing each other surrounded by a gathering of their closest family members. The priest instructed Mira to place the flower garland over Vikranth's shoulders. Vikranth placed a garland over Mira's head too. When it was Mira's turn to exchange the garland, Vikranth bent backward and his cousins hooted and whistled. The next moment, Mira was lifted by her uncles in the air making it easier for her to garland him.