54. Mira's Magic🔮

Vikranth didn't show up for dinner until Padma aunty dragged him out of the room after everyone had eaten. He ate a small portion and went back to the room. Mira stayed in her room while he ate. Later that night while her parents and the Gopals were getting ready to sleep, she heard murmured voices of Padma aunty and Vikranth, and struggled to make out what they were talking about. When she went to the balcony to grab her towel, a voice startled her,

''Congratulations!'' 

She turned around to find Vikranth leaning against the wall with a sly smile. Mira blinked and turned around.

''You're getting married?'' he cocked his head to the side and asked.

''What? Oh...No. But I got a proposal.'' Mira corrected him.

''What's keeping you from saying yes then?'' he asked, sarcasm evident is his voice.

Mira's cheeks flooded with heat. She wanted to reply him with just as much sarcasm.

''Why are you asking me all this? It's none of your business." She paused, then said, "But I guess I've already made up my mind, just waiting until Preeti's wedding is over.'' 

Vikranth frowned at Mira then remarked, ''Great! So you have it all figured out.'' he threw his hands in the air and said.

''Yes.'' Mira admitted.

''Fantastic! You haven't just changed, but you've also forgotten everything!'' he snapped.

Mira gave him a confused look. He came closer and said sternly,

''Six months back, you promised me that you would do what you wanted to and won't succumb to what others want you to do.''

Mira's thoughts rushed back to that night at the clocktower, when he held her hand and made her promise. He was wrong, she vividly remembered everything even if she didn't want to. She found it foolish of him to bring it up since a lot had changed since then. If only he knew...

Mira chose to remain silent and walked out, but Vikranth stood before her and blocked her way. His face held an intimidating expression as he fixated his eyes on her.

''Move Vikranth.'' Mira protested without looking up at him.

''So do you remember the promise?'' he asked looking at Mira.

She finally looked up at him and said, ''I do and I also know what I'm doing. It's my decision. So I would appreciate it if you would stop interfering in my life so much!.'' Mira nudged his arm aside and made herself out.

Just then, a hand shot out and clenched her wrist.

''Wait! I'm not done yet!'' Mira was startled by his irate voice.

She winced as he grabbed her hand tightly, ''What are you doing?! Let go of me Vikranth!'' She twitched her arm in frustration knocking over a small empty flower pot with the other arm. It fell with a 'thud' loud enough for Mira's parents to hear.

''Mira! What happened?'' Sudha shouted from he room.

''Nothing ma!'' she said facing the living room.

''Don't forget to close the balcony before you come back inside!'' Sudha shouted from inside.

''Ahhn Okay!'' 

She turned to Vikranth. ''What's your problem? Is it that I'm getting engaged or is it the fact that I didn't tell you about it?! Either way, this had to happen at some point and frankly, for someone who hasn't been in touch for six months, you're overreacting!'' Mira snapped.