13. Azhagiye...Marry Me!

Day 2

The view from Mira's room was beautiful the next morning as she got ready for the Viratham. She wore a dark blue silk saree with a sheer light blue blouse with lace sleeves. She could see the calm Arabian sea and the bleak sun which was only beginning to rise. Nihara resort had a special hall called Vivaaham dedicated to wedding rituals. All the rituals after the Naandi Srardham for the next two days were going to be held there.  Mira learnt that prayers are offered to the Naandi Devtas or ancestors of both families in the Naandi Sradham. The ritual also eliminates any negative or evil energies from obstructing the wedding and hence is undertaken before the wedding.  The ancestors play an important role in blessing the two families with good health. Vikranth and Ram were performing this ritual in the nearby temple before the groom heads to the wedding hall or Kalyana mandapam.

At the temple, Sudha, Padma and other immediate family members sat around the Priest, Ram and Vikranth. While the priest chanted mantras, Padma, Sudha and three other ladies set up a branch of a tree with leaves outside the temple. They washed it with milk. Ten relatives from Mira and Vikranth's families were invited to have an authentic south Indian feast during this pooja. Once the pooja was complete, Mira was called to join Vikranth at the Vivaaham wedding hall to receive blessings from relatives and accept clothes as gifts.  Mira was escorted to the wedding hall by Ramya, Abirami and her little cousin sister, Maitreyi. She noticed that Vikranth stood wearing a light green shirt with veshti. His traditional attire made him appear even more attractive, Mira thought. After the couple took blessings, their parents offered each of ten relatives a tamboolam filled with fruits, flowers, sweets, paan and traditional attire.

Mira and Vikranth spent the remainder of the morning greeting relatives and friends before heading for breakfast. They were both made to get ready immediately afterwards for the Viratham rituals which would take place later that morning. Viratham or fasting was observed to get blessings of the elders who have departed to the world beyond. The ritual is performed by the bride and groom to seek permission to start their wedding life. Mira was instructed by Sudha to eat well before the ritual as she would have to observe the fast until the next day. Though, she could drink water and eat fruits. There were two priests, one each for Mira and Vikranth for this ceremony. Mira was instructed to tie a charadu or sacred thread around her wrist as protective armour to keep the evil spirits away.

It was during this ritual that Mira met her Athai or paternal aunt after many years. After a fallout between her parents and her paternal relatives during her childhood, Mira never saw her Dad's side of the family again. Though her father did speak to her Athai occasionally on the phone. Her athai was a short, stout and feeble lady who adorned a maroon silk saree. She saw her athai hugging her father and congratulating her mother before coming up to her and blessing her.

''Sharada athai!'' Mira said.

''Miraaa...god you have grown into a beautiful  young woman.''

Mira knelt down to seek blessings from Sharada who refused and gave her a warm hug instead. Mira had heard so many negative things about Sharada Athai from her mother. However today, Sudha seemed happy with Sharada's presence.

''She needs your blessings akka.'' Ram told his sister.

''She will always have me blessings Ram!'' Sharada said beaming. She then asked about the groom and Ram escorted her to meet Vikranth.

Mira looked at her mother to see if she was okay.

''I didn't know you had invited her Ma.''

''Ram wanted and I couldn't refuse Mira. After all, she's the only reliable family member Ram has now. Being his eldest sister, we couldn't hold grudges given her age.''