46. Sober kinda fun...🎲

Hey guys! Since it's been a while, do check out Chapter 45. before reading this if you feel a bit lost with the story. Enjoy!

***

Mira was standing to bowl with Naren wicket-keeping and a young boy stood opposite with his bat ready. Naren had dragged Mira to join them to play while Preeti said she would manage on her own with the remaining few invitations. Strangely, Preeti seem too keen on Mira sticking around to join Naren.

As she stood there ready to bowl, Mira was taken back to her college days as the nostalgia of the excitement and adrenaline rush came rushing back to her. Mira bowled the first ball as the boy easily made contact with the ball and swung it enough to get four runs.

''COME ON MIRA! You can do better than that!'' Naren shouted across from her.

Mira smiled widely before she said, ''I was just warming up!''

The next two balls just barely missed the wickets as the boy struggled to make contact with the bat. Mira thought she saw Naren raise his eyebrows then. The boy hit the fourth ball with great difficulty and ran to score runs, but before he could make it across to Mira's side, Mira shouted at another boy fielding to throw the ball at her. He made a clumsy throw with the ball towards Mira who picked the ball and threw it at the wickets from a distance of few inches.

***

Mira didn't know until then that playing gully cricket with some kids could feel so liberating. She literally jumped in the air and pumped her fists in the air when she got the boy run-out! Naren simply smiled when he saw her excitement. Mira thanked the kids for letting her play and waved goodbye before her and Naren walked away.

''Wow...you really surprised me there. I was going to ask you to go a little on the kids.'' Naren said.

Mira laughed and said, ''That was so fun! Thanks! Reminded me of the energy with which I played in college!''

''Don't thank me. But you still have the skills Mira. I saw it today.''

''Oh please, anyone can play gully cricket, and this was among kids!'' Mira scoffed.

''But you had fun right? And if you join the sports complex, you can play with people your age.''

Mira sighed and looked at Naren before she asked, ''Is there already like a team there?''

Naren went on to explain that a group of girls who like Mira find cricket a hobby come twice a week to the local sports complex to train and play practice matches for fun. He promised to Whatsapp the details later and asked her to consider it. Mira didn't promise anything but simply smiled.

***

In the weeks ahead, Mira saw more of Naren. Sometimes it would be after work, or even on weekends at public places. It made her think whether it was something more than just mere coincidence. On evening, she saw him in the supermarket nearby. Actually, he spotted her first while on his way out even before she entered the store. He snuck behind her when she went to grab a basket and startled her.

''You have quite the ability to remain sneakily silent...'' was the first thing Mira said to him.

Naren laughed before he asked, ''So we meet again...don't you think this is more than just coincidence?''

Mira didn't confess that the same thought had struck her, instead she rolled her eyes at him, making him laugh again. Mira walked down the snacks aisle, with Naren a few steps behind her.

''It's good actually. I wanted to thank you for praising me in front of my dad that day, although he's not that easy to convince, but I still appreciate it.'' he said cooly.