51. Pickled Gooseberries🍋

''Haaeee da! Miraaaa!'' Padma aunty said from across the living room, then walked over to Mira before giving her a warm hug. Then held Mira's chin and said sweetly,

''Oh look at how beautiful you've become.'' she added as Mira smiled and felt flattered at the compliment she received despite being in a jersey and sweatpants.

Padma turned to Sudha who stood outside the kitchen and said, ''But Sudha, she had lost a lot of weight, look at how lean she looks?''

Sudha smirked and said, ''When was she ever fat Padma!'', and everyone laughed.

Mira went over and greeted Gopal uncle who asked her briefly about how life in Bangalore is. As she spent a few minutes talking and laughing with Padma and Gopal, Mira felt Vikranth's gaze on her. 

She finally walked up to Vikrnath who raised his eyebrows and said smiled.

''Heyy Mira!'', he said in his youthful tone with a faint laugh.

Even after nearly 180 days, Mira felt the same butterflies inside as he said her name. She had yearned to hear his voice that often left her speechless. 

''Hi! Vikranth...'' Mira said as she looked up and saw him gazing at her in admiration.

''We finally meet...again hehe!'' he said as Mira realised how much she had missed his tone, accent and of course his laugh.

''Yea...ahh...welcome to Kerala!'' Mira said elatedly. 

''Thanks! Gorgeous place by the way!''

They both smiled at each other while their parents continued with their respective conversations.

''How's everyone back in Boston? Abhi, Sam and Guava? And Sri?''

''Yea they're great! Too bad Sri couldn't make it''

Mira frowned slightly as well as Padma aunty heard them and added how Sri was very keen on being here but couldn't because of his exams. Then she continued talking to Sudha in the kitchen.

''And....Guava's with my friend, you know the one in my building.'' Vikranth said placing one hand at the back of his head.

''Yea yea I remember...''

Just then, Gopal said from behind them, ''Mira ma, you were in Boston till January this year no?''

Mira turned and answered, ''No uncle, I had left Boston in December, just before the New Year.''

''Ohh...then it's only been six months since you're back!'' Gopal said before turning to Ram and asking something else.

''Yea..'' Mira said as she thought about how Gopal had said 'only' six months. But to Mira, they were not just six months. They were probably the longest six months of her life.

 ''Wow really? Geez, t's been six months since we last met?'' Vikranth asked. This suddenly triggered Mira as she said,

''Yeap. Six months..'' Mira nodded as she begin to doubt that Vikranth felt unaffected by how long they had been away from each other.

Mira averted her eyes before she excused herself, ''Umm sorry...I need to put these away.'' looking down at the grocery bags she held before heading for the kitchen. Vikranth nodded as he moved aside.

''Hey Mira!'' Vikranth called out before Mira entered the kitchen, Mira turned around.

''It's good to see you...finally!'' he said with a warm smile.